Spoiler colors?

The_Red_Baron

Reaction score
The second is where I found the bubbles originally. There's many small "spider web" cracks at the corners and edges that filled with paint, and aren't noticeable. But these are the concern.
IMG_20170603_111742.jpg
IMG_20170603_111413.jpg

shadango

Reaction score
...are we sure those are cracks that were there before you laid the black paint? Maybe its the black paint reacting with the primer and splitting?

Though it didnt do it on the other surface.....

Or maybe some sort of contamination?

Maybe we can sand it , use some glazing putty and then resand and paint?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I "wonder" if a person could make a mold of the spoiler and re-make it in fiberglass, or something else?
Note: I have absolutely no experience on that - but I have seen my share of "cheap" plastic items causing nothing but problems.
BudW

shadango

Reaction score
I "wonder" if a person could make a mold of the spoiler and re-make it in fiberglass, or something else?
Note: I have absolutely no experience on that - but I have seen my share of "cheap" plastic items causing nothing but problems.
BudW

I guess anything is possible.....the hard part would be the underbelly part where the hardware goes etc.

I think we will sand the "scratches" down and see what is there...maybe then sand the whole color coat, reprime and repaint and see. I am not sure if glazing putty can be put on color coats....

barbee6043

Reaction score
I guess anything is possible.....the hard part would be the underbelly part where the hardware goes etc.

I think we will sand the "scratches" down and see what is there...maybe then sand the whole color coat, reprime and repaint and see. I am not sure if glazing putty can be put on color coats....

try member here BHA43 ?????/ I undertand he repops these in fiberglass and much better than OEM>>>

shadango

Reaction score
try member here BHA43 ?????/ I undertand he repops these in fiberglass and much better than OEM>>>

Well, moolah is short so we are gonna try and salvage this one first. Plus the holes are drilled already for the stock one...likely the new one would be different...maybe not......

80mirada

Reaction score
BHA43s are direct copies, the molds were made from original parts, installed on a car. That said, yiu may need to open that crack up and fill it with epoxy to get a permanent fix.

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
You can rent the special gun for two part panel bond adhesive from most paint jobber stores and buy a tube of the glue and use that to reinforce the back side of the spoiler. Rough it up with 36 grit and lay the glue on. Mount it with some wax paper between the spoiler and the decklid and allow it to dry. I would suggest reinforcing the center rib of any original plastic 1pc spoiler. They like to break there. I'd squirt a bead all up inside that rib and let it dry before even getting to the areas near where it mounts. The ends only break from misalignment causing them to hit quarter panels, or careless people busting their heads on them while open. Yes they like to bubble along the lead edge too but I've only seen that on ones that had multiple coats of paint. The back side gets 3 or 4 pieces of caulk rope to hold it flat and still let water thru. Suggest angling them to the edges.

shadango

Reaction score
Thanks Rattletrap....

The kiddo and I sanded down and repainted and then reinstalled the spoiler the other day before we left for an event.

Used some foam weatherstrip tape at the top edge to elevate the spoiler just a hair above the deck to prevent rubbing.

And we used 3M tape on the rear edge (on the trunk lip edge).

And of course the 4 built in bolts.

Turned out OK, and we did about 10 hours of driving, much of it 70 or so, and it stayed on LOL.

Did notice a very tiny small hairline crack....I guess time will tell.

We also noticed the rubbing you had mentioned....the bottom outside ends of the spoiler tend to rub on the fender a little....spoiler was aligned where it wanted to be so not sure why.

Used some think clear plastic tape as a buffer for that issue...should be fine.

Car looks slick with it on though! didnt take any really good pictures yet but will post some when I can.

Last edited:
Back