Stabbing the oil filter with a screw driver to remove it

slant6billy

Reaction score
I never had to do this in 30 years.

My friend Sue called me around 730 tonight. Her boyfriend went to change his oil and could not get the filter to turn. Before I could yell into the phone and say "What ever you do, don't stab the filter with a screw driver to try to get it off".... He went and did it.

He only put one hole in it at the very center??? - not sure why he chose that (saw it on the internet), but ... it was the WRONG thing to do.

Luckily for him I have about 6 different types of filter removal tools.

The filter did start to collapse in on itself as the 4 jaw wrench dug in. I grabbed at the base where it kisses the engine. I got it off and was able to get it all done (it is starting to get darker sooner folks)

My point......I never will stab an oil filter with a screw driver while trying to remove it.

I've used an old leather belt cut down to about 8 to 10 inches and wrapped a filter with it to get really stubborn ones off.

Sue's boyfriend won't do that again. The good thing, he is a bow hunter and he promised me some fresh deer meat this fall for helping him out.

Aspen500

Reaction score
We have to resort to imaginative methods to get filters loose at work sometimes. Usually it's the ones where the oil change sticker in the windshield either says "Jiffy Lube" or "Wal-Mart".......................Dry gasket, tightened 5 turns after contact with the sealing surface.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Ran into that exact situation with my buddy's Jimmy. He stabbed it......then collapsed it......then mutilated it. Big ass channel locks right at the base. Told him not to do his own oil anymore. Of course Jiffy Stooge did the previous oil change.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've had ones where there was no choice when all else failed. Chisel bit in an air hammer. Jiffy-Lube,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hacks.
I think they put the filter on, dry gasket and then tighten it to 75 ft lbs. Seriously. Won't even go into what it takes to get the oil plug loose. Yes, at times,,,,,,,,chisel bit in an air hammer. What part of 15 ft lbs don't they understand?????? That's snug plus just a titch.
Off topic but,,,,,,,spark plugs are another one that the hack shops overtighten. Depending on head material and plug thread size, it's anywhere from 9-15 ft lbs,,,MAX. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Over torque in aluminum and it rolls the threads. Next guy that has to remove them ends up putting inserts in at least one hole. Cave men,,,,,,,,,,they should have their tool boxes repossessed. :mad:

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
For that very reason I wont take any of my vehicles and have them serviced anymore I do my own. Sometimes even if you only hand tighten as they recommend amazing what heat can really do to a filter seal after awhile and then some of those teenagers working at those lube places tend to not know what they are doing. Have had past issues with them not putting the oil filter on correctly. Oil leaking at the filter. Quarts low and so on. Never again.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a nice selection of oil filter tools.
One item missing is the large nut that goes on the ends of many filters (never needed one – but can see how it would work well).
gear-gremlin_gg113a-d_oil-filter-wrench.jpg

My two favorites are the seat belt strap one as well as the filter plyers.
strap-oil-filter-wrench-for-up-6-dia-filters-kds30830.jpg

oilchange3.jpg

The ratcheting strap and the 3 piece jaws can get job done, but not my preference.
oil_filter_wrench.jpg

Oil-Filter-Wrench-Oil-grid-removal-tool-Cars-Trucks-Oil-Change-tools-Automotive-Tools.jpg

I think is odd that about 50’s and before, they had canister style filters with replaceable elements. Now it has circled back to the same style, again.

An oil filter tip I have learned from changing the huge filter on my Dodge diesel (Cummins) pickup.

Get an appropriate size Ziploc baggie (in case of the diesel, the gallon size will barley fit) and hold it under the filter about ½ way up on the filter. Spin the filter from uncovered portion. Any oil dripping down side of filter will mostly go into the baggie. When the filter drops loose, it will slide right into the baggie (just be sure you have a hold of the corner of the baggie good). Then just zip it up and move it out of your way.

It makes the mess a whole lot smaller and in the case of Cummins, it is a huge filter and bigger in diameter than I can grasp onto (not counting the oily aspect of it).

I hadn’t used the tip on other vehicles yet, but I can see how it would be helpful for big blocks and some others.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You want some real fun BudW? Change oil on a newer RAM 2500HD or 3500HD with the 6.7L Cummins. That oil filter and it's location,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what the bleeping bleepity bleep WERE they thinking????? You WILL have a huge mess to clean up and there's absolutely no way around it. Best part is, the filter is bigger than any opening to remove it so you have to more or less force it through. Bleeping bleep.:eek:

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Years back I had the band type of wrench and when I was in trouble removing a filter I would run a strip of sandpaper between the band and filter, grit side on filter .. worked everytime .. I've got the multi size one now(last one pictured) and if it slips still I just angle the handle till it grabs, yeah, destroys the filter but doesn't rip the can open .. not often tho I need to angle it..

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I have that first one. I originally bought a plastic one......I know.....what was I thinking? Now I have the steel one. Never fails......plus I only do the oil on my cars so I know the last filter was put on right.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
This time two years ago, my dad ordered and took delivery a 2014 2500 with 6.7L in it.

He hasn’t commented on oil changes on it yet.

He always buys a new truck about every 5 years and he always gets the selling dealer to include several oil changes in with the purchase price – so maybe he hasn’t done one, yet.

I’m fortunate that I have a Cummins dealer about a mile from me. Filters from them are cheaper than anywhere else I’ve gone to.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'm fairly sure if he had done his own oil change, you'd have heard about it. Not sure how far away he lives from you but you might have heard about without him even telling you!:p I mean they suck to change SO bad.
At work we normally use genuine oil filters on the HD diesel pickups. Mopar for RAM, AC Delco for GM and Motorcraft for Ford and keep half a dozen of each in stock. No idea on the price but a diesel oil change (aside from light diesels like VW and Jeep) is a heck of a lot more than the $34.95 (conventional oil) a gas engine is anyways so what's a couple extra bucks among friends:)

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
He lives six hours East of me.

My truck (’97) holds 6 gallons of coolant and 3 gallons of engine oil.
Fluid changes are not cheap (besides, I’m too cheap to pay anyone something I can do myself).

volare 77

Reaction score
I`m guilty. I had a small leak and thought it was at the oil filter so I snugged it down more then I should have. I tried every wrench shown and the filter squished so I resorted to the screwdriver and finally got it off.

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
I've been rehabbing that red jeep pickup of my brother's very, very slowly.
The Chrysler takes precedence, of course.

I had drained the oil but could not find the oil filter wrench.
Faced with the daunting array of options, I selected something that looks similar to the red handled #4 above only the one we bought is adjustable for the size of the filter.

I HATE IT. I will never buy another one, I will never recommend it. Bleh!

Ultimately, I determined the main issue was with the filter itself. The gasket was heat bonded to the crankcase. Eventually, I partially collapsed the filter with the wrench (unintentionally) and it backed the metal case off the gasket. Used a putty knife to get the gasket off.

Yes I put oil on the gasket of the new one before I installed it.
And I also put it on tight, but not having popeye arms and not having a happy time with the wrench I'm confident it is tight enough but not too tight.

Oh lordy, lordy. I have done nothing on that pickup for since Dec 31 and have no plans to do so for a while.

Back