Steering Coloumn interchange

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a tricky question.

Chrysler steering columns changed across the board in 1980 to the Saginaw design (like whats currently in your J-body) – so I won't discuss the '76-79 F/M-body columns (which everything is different on).

The '80-89 FMJ Columns are made by Saginaw (GM) and share a lot of parts with GM vehicles of this time era. I have little experience with GM vehicles – but hear many parts will interchange without issue (except for little things like electrical plug-in connectors and things like that).

All '80-89 FMJ columns are the same length from end of column to the steering wheel attachment – which is different from everything else Chrysler used. The front wheel drive cars use the shortest column and pickups use the longest columns.
20200518_191520.jpg

This (tilt) column is from a '84 Gran Fury (M-body)

The upper part of the steering column is the same for ALL Chrysler vehicles from '80 to about '90.
20200518_191633.jpg

If you find a column and it has a short squared off cap on turn signal switch stalk, then the upper parts will (or should) interchange – including steering wheels.
Cruise-Wiper knob.jpg

If the column you find has a rounded off turn signal stalk – then keep walking, there is nothing here for you.
Annotation 2020-04-08 164507.jpg

The lower part of column, where it attaches to the floorboard – will ONLY fit FMJ vehicles and the plate is shaped like this:
20200518_191642.jpg

A person can take another (non J-body columns) and might be able to switch out the lower plate (from an FMJ) and make it fit into your J-body, maybe. That is one thing I hadn't tried to do, yet.
Other lower plate shape/designs are (which are different from each other):
A-body
B/R-body
C-body
All front wheel drive cars and minivans (until about 1990, or so)
pickup (up to 1993)
full size van
(I'm not sure about Dakota).

The middle part of the column, more specifically where it bolts to the dash is specific to J-body cars only. The mounting bolts are about 2-3 inches lower than what F/M-body uses (which are about 2-3 inches higher). A person can fabricate a bracket and can make almost anything fit – but just letting you know what the differences are.
20200518_191714.jpg

Note: the R-body uses a dash similar to a J-body, but steering column is DIFFERENT. Matter of fact, the R-body bracket attachment is also in a different location from other B-body's.

The last part has to do with the wiring harness connectors. This column example is from a '84 Gran Fury (M-body). It has five different electrical connectors – which are different from your '81. For what ever reason, Chrysler liked to change the wiring connectors about every two (or so) years.
20200518_191803.jpg

Most things electrical can be carried over, if needed.

Pretty much all of the parts used on tilt columns are different from non-tilt columns.

As far as factory parts (without modifications) J-body columns are all by themselves.

The different FMJ columns used for '80-89 FMJ's are (all of which might not be used or made):
F/M-body:
Non-tilt automatic column shift
Non-tilt automatic console shift
Non-tilt 3-speed manual column shift
Non-tilt 4-speed manual console shift (which are different from automatic console shift)
Tilt automatic column shift
Tilt automatic console shift
Tilt 4-speed manual console shift

J-body:
Non-tilt automatic column shift
Non-tilt automatic console shift
Non-tilt 3-speed manual column shift (might not have been made)
Non-tilt 4-speed manual console shift (might not have been made)
Tilt automatic column shift
Tilt automatic console shift
Tilt 4-speed manual console shift (might not have been made)

I have seen friends take a F/M-body console column and use pieces to convert a J-body column shift (to make a console shift column) before.

Does this help?
BudW

Back