Steering Column Interchange?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
What other mopar columns will work in our cars? I've come across some deals and I've thought, dang, that's a good deal, I wonder if that will work in my car? The current column doesn't match anyways. It was a replacement a previous owner installed after the car was stolen.

Tilt, power, manual, doesn't matter to me if it'll bolt in and it's a good deal. Swap meets will start again soon and I want to know what will work

Duke5A

Reaction score
I swapped in a column from a '79 two door F body into my car while I rebuilt the tilt on the original. It was a little short, but worked. Get a column from another sedan and it should slide right in.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I swapped in a column from a '79 two door F body into my car while I rebuilt the tilt on the original. It was a little short, but worked. Get a column from another sedan and it should slide right in.
I figured other FJM columns would work, but what about A,B,C and E body columns?

Duke5A

Reaction score
No way. Not without modification. I really don't see why you would want to anyhow. The later model columns are actually GM Saginaw units and you can get replacement parts for them.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
You'd have to watch the length but if you're stuck look for a GM one from the same period. They're the same.
I know someone who had a Cavalier one in his fwd LEbaron. Even used the GM key. That was strange.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
You'd have to watch the length but if you're stuck look for a GM one from the same period. They're the same.
I know someone who had a Cavalier one in his fwd LEbaron. Even used the GM key. That was strange.
Are the multi function switches the same? Whoever wired mine up messed up the sprayer for the windshield washer fluid.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Not entirely. Some have the same functions but the levers and maybe plugs are different.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Follow up question, what about steering wheels? Are there other mopar steering wheels that will work? I've come across some nice green steering wheels but I don't know if the splines are the same

dkamp

Reaction score
If anyone runs across a 78-81 (maybe to 89) saginal Tilt/Telescopic column, I'm seeking a few misc parts. The lever to lock the telescopic, and the pin in the core that locks it.
the two circled parts.

1707162419214.png
1707162458789.png

Back