Steering linkage ?

Gator

Reaction score
On what fbody cars would get the bigger 11/16 tie rods ?taxis cop car.iam wondering if this is a good upgrade or just go with the smaller ones

volare 77

Reaction score
IIRC, I upgraded the ones on my charger. I couldn`t really tell you if there was any difference. I would guess if I was doing a road course or something I might have felt it in improved handling. Dunno? I went with OE on my volare.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The larger tie rod ends don't really do much for handling, they're just stronger. I suppose they help a little since they don't tend to flex as much. Still, the "weak link" for flex is the split adjusting sleeve, big or small. Don't know if you'd notice any difference but going with the solid sleeves with jam nuts would be stiffer.
Unless you're going to be road racing or doing autocross, the standard size is just fine.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The 11/16” tie rods were standard for some years police and taxi (but not all years). They are a bit stiffer but not much – but for daily use, they don’t wear out as fast as the 9/16” tie rods do (so I’m told).
As mentioned above, the big issue is the split adjusting sleeve. They deflect (a lot) under hard driving – and going with solid tie rod sleeves helps tons – for those who plan on hitting turns hard. Those split adjusting sleeves work good for about 90% of people, but those who drive hard - they are like soft rubber tie rods instead of steel.

This is a picture of a normal split tube adjusting sleeve
TE Proforged 10510006.jpg

This is one example of a solid sleeve (there are others, as well).
TE Proforged 10510049.jpg

Back in the day, if a person was driving a car over rough roads or potholes constantly, we would recommend replacing tie rods with 11/16” versions. That said, I don’t know of anyone today who would subject their FMJ to driving on rough roads or potholes, so a non-issue today.

Also, those who live in rust prong areas – the solid tubes keep things less rusty.

For those who are road racing or just drives car hard (ie: I fit that bill), the solid sleeves are well worth the money.

Sense I drive cars hard and plan on some road racing (with big blocks), the solid sleeves and 11/16” tie rods are the only way to go. The other 90-95% of our members, using 9/16” rods and split sleeves will be fine.

Side note: the 9/16” / 11/16” tie rods and adjusting sleeves are the same for most all Chrysler cars from early ‘60’s until ’89 – in both sizes (9/16” & 11/16”), which is surprising to me.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
The solid sleeves aren't much better than split sleeves up here in salt country. If a vehicle is more than a couple years old, when doing an alignment you will most likely need the torch to heat them up red hot before they will budge.:(

Gator

Reaction score
Great info .I think ill just go with the 9/16 tie rods since I'm not going road racing with my 78
.I'll tell you what does make a big help in handling is a rear sway bar.my 79 has a stock rear sway bar

Raff

Reaction score
I recently bought new tie rods and sleeves for my F wagon. No difference in price between the 9/16 and 11/16 so I went with the larger. I agree that the split sleeve would be the weak link but I’m just cruising so no fancy $leeves for me.

Back