Steering question Idler arm

SixBanger

Reaction score
Parts for suspension/steering and other stuf hve arrived! So lots of things to do. Past week working on the rear side of the car. Changing shocks, brakes, diff fluid etc.

Now I am currently working on the steering assembly. There was considerable play in the steering drive. Changing all tie-rods, but most play came of the idler arm.

Compared to the new idler arm, the bushing distance is 3 millimeters smaller (shown in the picture is now 60 mm). Now the new idler arm is tight in the K-frame. I have tightened it. Only I doubt if the clamping is not too much. The idler arm moves freely, but it requires some power to move it. My question is whether this is correct? Not that it may cause problems with steering.

Thanks in advance!

EQC_K7086_P01_BAC__ra_p.jpg

Rustyroger

Reaction score
Set your mind at rest. Slight resistance is normal. What is important is the LENGTH is the same.
My Fifth Avenue had a shot idler arm when I bought it, but all the other steering links, although obviously not new, were fine.

Roger.

Aspen500

Reaction score
A little late to the program but Rusty is correct. A new idler arm will be hard to move. It's the way they're supposed to be.

SixBanger

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Last weekend I did a test drive. Looks all right, and some less steering play.

Also changed the front shocks, this was easily done, old out new in. The gas had probably gone out the shock absorber of the driver side. On the basis of this, and increasing the pre-tension of the torsion arms, the handling at the front has been improved.

Next thing to do is to run the engine better on gasoline. It runs fine on lpg, but looks like starving on gas. Ypu can drive with gas. When the engine runs on petrol, it seems that there is not enough supplied by the pump. Fuel lines look outdated and corroded. Today I removed and cleaned the fuel tank and I want to changes the fuel lines. If needed, I want to change the fuel pump.

Rustyroger

Reaction score
I just make my own fuel lines from copper /nickel tubing. Seems fine with regular unleaded petrol (gas to our transatlantic friends :p). On car I did this to is still fine 10 years on. Maybe petrol laced with ethanol might be a problem, but I think anything that will hanle brake fluid should be fine.

Roger.

SixBanger

Reaction score
Yeah sure. Ethanol would be worse for old plastic type pipes and gaskets. I think the engine would not matter? Seems it burn everything (almost).
So today refreshed the fuel lines. Tomorrow see how it runs on petrol.

Back