Storage Best Practices

LyonAdmiral

Reaction score
Well finally after 4 years, I can move the car into storage and have it as a classic (not my daily driver). My question for my fellow M lovers is what are your best practices for keeping the car in storage? The only thing that comes to my mind is fill up the tank with premium gasoline and add fuel stabilizer to it.

Thanks guys & gals...

Aspen500

Reaction score
Hopefully it's a secure DRY storage area with a concrete floor. Depending on how long it will sit between drivings, it's a good idea to disconnect the battery. If it'll be sitting along time (like over winter), it's also a good idea to pump the tires up to the max inflation shown on the sidewall. If there's a chance of high humidity int he building, might want to look into some sort of desiccant bags to put in the interior. Again, all depends on the length of storage and the storage conditions on what and how to prep for the storage. If a car must be stored on a dirt/gravel floor, put down a big blue tarp to park on. One of the biggest destroyers of cars (aside from driving in winter road salt) is parking on a non-paved surface. the moisture comes up and basically rots the underside worse than you can imagine. Actually, it's worse than road salt.

LyonAdmiral

Reaction score
Hopefully it's a secure DRY storage area with a concrete floor. Depending on how long it will sit between drivings, it's a good idea to disconnect the battery. If it'll be sitting along time (like over winter), it's also a good idea to pump the tires up to the max inflation shown on the sidewall. If there's a chance of high humidity int he building, might want to look into some sort of desiccant bags to put in the interior. Again, all depends on the length of storage and the storage conditions on what and how to prep for the storage. If a car must be stored on a dirt/gravel floor, put down a big blue tarp to park on. One of the biggest destroyers of cars (aside from driving in winter road salt) is parking on a non-paved surface. the moisture comes up and basically rots the underside worse than you can imagine. Actually, it's worse than road salt.

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, it's not a secure dry storage. I have no property and certainly no garage, but I do have a buddy who has allowed me to park & store my car on his property. I certainly will be putting a tarp underneath it, one that is slightly larger than the shadow footprint of the car. I learned that way back when my mother parked her 1967 Mustang behind her mother's house in the late 70's only to have it get eaten alive. :)

Back