Strange attitude of Junk yard owners

slant6billy

Reaction score
I've been hitting yards and car cemeteries for 25 years give or take. Some days are good and some are odd. I've gotten funny looks from the folks behind the counter when I ask for F body parts by Aspen or Volare moniker. same with J request and M's. I've been turned away many more times lately and get really high quotes on so so parts. I kind of think these places are now "Auto Recyclers" and heavy iron cars like our F, M & J are just scrap metal with a bunch of trim and plastic meant for the trash can. I saw a yard 3 blocks from my house where they were throwing bricks at or on a red 5th Ave.......... Why ? To bust the glass out, so they could run it to Camden for Scrap. So My question are all these Used Auto Parts people weird or eccentric? It is not like I did their sister wrong or killed their cat.

efriedrich

Reaction score
I was glad to see that two different junk yards buy me had both recently got a couple M bodies apiece. They sat their for a few weeks and got crushed, I was pissed. There was so much shit I wanted off those cars but just didn't have time. They don't let anything but late model stuff sit around anymore everything else gets scraped and crushed.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Yep. They're all crush happy up here.
I mentioned before.. Local boneyard had 2 5th ave's I wanted to pick clean. Took what I could and told the morons I'd be back the next day.
Got there first thing in the morning to find two Fifth Avenue pancakes in the corner.
I was pissed.
Mind you the three piece of crap hyundai's were still there.
Go figure.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Then there are the places that won't tell what they have nor let you walk around...... Like you would sneak out with a set of doors or grab that 78 supercoupe grille they are hiding. I mean, come on. Back in Nov2011, Me and Cudamark went to a yard called Albion in West Berlin, New Jersey (1/2 hour from Phila). The old couple were nice as hell and for a buck let us wander around. We found a 77 F body coupe, 79 as well, and a 79 Charger. A few dippys were in there too. We got some brake hardware really cheap- only a few dollars for a caliper bracket for instance. While headed out, we saw a nice set of 76 volare taillamps. Only a few bucks for those as well. The real find was a 70 superbee rear valence panel with the bee in perfect condition. They practically gave us that for 15 bucks. They were glad to see we wanted all there odd mopar stuff. They were also glad we spoke clear American w/o an accent. I'm no way saying anything derogatory here, that is exactly what they told us.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
All are yards went crush happy the last time scrap prices spiked.
Then between my buddy Hemi and I, we try to get the M's BEFORE they make the wreckers.

Then I usually get a phone call or word when there is a new arrivial.
BUT now once they are in the yard, they won't let me have it whole.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
You would think the idiots could make more money parting them out.
Whenever I ask them why they don't they say they have no room in their yard to keep them around.
Meanwhile there's hondas, hyndai's and toyota's all over the place.
They don't take up any room apparently.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Problem is the other idiots are driving FWD's and not too many people asking for F/M/J parts.

I've caught M's before they made the yard and bought them.
I have 2 M's in my fleet that came from the wreckers and one that was going there if I didn't buy it for $200.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I guess that's the deal. Gotta get 'em before they hit the yard.
I offered this clown $300 for a junked out 5th.
He said he'd think about it.
Went back the next day.... Pancake.

Erics5th

Reaction score
At least you can go into the yards and get parts. Here in Texas (at least where I live) you can't go in. I know of one though. Has about 10 M's. They have been sitting out in the hot sun for so long the plastic parts break up when you try to remove them. Kinda sucks because one is an AHB car with a 125 speedo (but oddly no rear sway bar). Lets face it, us "idiots" who drive FWD cars far out number owners of FMJ's.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
A lot of them DON'T let you go in but these guys know me now so they let me poke around. There's jack in the yards up here. REALLY slim pickin's.
My 5th is my daily so I'm always on the lookout for parts to stockpile.
Gettin' tough though.

Mroldart2u

Reaction score
You would think the idiots could make more money parting them out.

Takes to much time... And time is money to them.

Whenever I ask them why they don't they say they have no room in their yard to keep them around.

Yep, Space is money for the crush yards.

Meanwhile there's hondas, hyndai's and toyota's all over the place.
They don't take up any room apparently.

Thats correct, most the time the yards around here stack em 2 high, 2-3 cars length, and crush them as a 'unit'...

A38Valiant

Reaction score
I guess that's why I'm known as a "hoarder", lol. The yards here got nuthin', so when I part a car, NOTHING good goes for scrap. I save framerails, floors, you name it.

Back