Sudden 0 oil pressure!!! 1979 Chrysler LeBaron

mopower76

Reaction score
I my experience, when you only get spark in "Run", but not "start" it is usually a problem with the ICM. First check the ground. If the ground is OK, it is time for a new one. Good luck getting it running and keeping the oil pressure. Someone on forcbodiesonly.com sells ICMs that he personally checks.
It has two control modules on it right now, one original and a brand new orange box.
I also tried the one off of my running vehicle just to eliminate it as a variable.

mopower76

Reaction score
New update… Oil pan leaking at the rear seal… looks like it pushed towards the trans…

This thing really doesn’t want me to drive it…

mopower76

Reaction score
I’m starting a “Lebron No Start”
In another post for electrical since this one is ongoing about oil 0 pressure.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Not that it makes a difference with the no starting or oil pressure but you said you didn't change the distributor but have an orange box. It needs a different distributor.

mopower76

Reaction score
I’m hoping it’s not the case, I’m going to try jumping to the positive from the battery and see if it runs in a few minutes.
That’s definitely going to eliminate the distributor or show absolutely that it’s the culprit…

Last edited:

mopower76

Reaction score
Plus I’m trying to not spend unnecessary money on Lebron right now.

mopower76

Reaction score
IT HAS GREAT OIL PRESSURE!!!

I jumped the positive on coil to batt + and it started! Pulled jumper and it runs on its own and sounds great!
Plus now it starts on every try…

Where is the intermittent gremlin now?!?!

mopower76

Reaction score
Great oil pressure for this old girl named Lebron!!

EAAF2D36-B5C2-4DFE-97EC-348913F9B02E.jpeg

mopower76

Reaction score
I rechecked everything and all seems fine except that the cranking voltage at the coil -- is only 10.3.
Otherwise it runs exceptionally well!

So far everything works except for the power windows and cruise (needs Speedo cables(?) AC needs recharged and is still R12 but it is actually trying to cool!

All of the lights and buzzers, the power drivers seat, even the trunk light and trunk release!

The windows will be a huge undertaking but so far there is 12 volts at the switches (or where it’s missing switches!)

Thanks for everyone’s advice and help!

image.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
With the load of the starter, battery voltage will be lower so 10.3 volts at the coil while cranking is fine. Of course the better the battery is, the less the voltage will drop.

mopower76

Reaction score
So since everything seems good… Back in the air to once again replace the oil pan gasket!!
This time I had it out in about an hour, getting this job down!
It’s a blessing in disguise really, the oil looked pretty clean coming out but when I got the pan down there was quite a bit of sludge and carbon that had collected and didn’t drain out.

Oil wasn’t sparkling so that’s a plus in my book!

I think it’s going to live well and be pretty healthy now!
After this, onto the windows, it’s getting hot in AZ already and the AC isn’t charged yet!!!!

I got all of the power door locks working too!!

07F31AA6-A10B-459E-9532-D3E9FDB36FD0.jpeg

mopower76

Reaction score
I’m starting yet another post about removing the padded vinyl top if anyone has any advice in that department!!

mopower76

Reaction score
I wanted to thank @Justwondering for the excellent help with pictures of the factory 1979 service manual!!

All of the pictures sent turned out great and were an invaluable resource!

They are still being used as I tackle the Power Windows!!!

Thanks again!!! Much Appreciated!!!

mopower76

Reaction score
Also, thanks to everyone that contributed!!! I really appreciate it!!

Now… Why the hell is it STILL leaking oil from the inspection cover…
Whaaaat the Fuuudge!!!!

F-U Lebron!!!

I’m guessing since it has a perfectly sone pan gasket and new rear main seal that it is possibly the rear cam retainer or a galley plug???

Oh boy… That will happen when I get to the transmission.

But for now, BIG Middle Finger Lebron!!

Duke5A

Reaction score
Also, thanks to everyone that contributed!!! I really appreciate it!!

Now… Why the hell is it STILL leaking oil from the inspection cover…
Whaaaat the Fuuudge!!!!

F-U Lebron!!!

I’m guessing since it has a perfectly sone pan gasket and new rear main seal that it is possibly the rear cam retainer or a galley plug???

Oh boy… That will happen when I get to the transmission.

But for now, BIG Middle Finger Lebron!!

Check the sending unit next to the distributor.

Also, what type of rear main seal did you use? The rope seals never seal. The viton seals are directional I believe.

Aspen500

Reaction score
It should be lip seal. They are technically directional but, as long as the lip faces the crank the directional little serations will be in the corrrect direction.

Like Duke said, be sure the oil pressure switch and/or oil tube (if that guage is mechanical). They can leak oil and appear to leak from inside the bellhousing, and drip out the inspection cover. The cam plug and oil galley plugs can leak but, it's rare.

Last edited:

mopower76

Reaction score
It was a lip seal crank seal, it was installed correctly and isn’t the problem, it’s leaking oil from the pan gasket on the passenger side and from the passenger VC gasket.
I left it to drip because I just couldn’t bring myself to mess with it anymore… And this is how these things go! “Why didn’t you ever fix the oil leak?”
DONT F’ING ASK!!!!
Ha! Ha!
It’s been an extremely reliable daily for at least the last 6 months but I just picked up a 87 Fifth Avenue so Lebron may go down the road, Cold AC, oil leak and all!!!

IMG_9256.jpeg

mopower76

Reaction score
Again, thanks so much to everyone that contributed to this thing being as good as it is! It’s a good super solid old car and different enough to start conversations everywhere I go!
Thanks again!
Mopar to Ya!!!

IMG_8885.jpeg

69-

Reaction score
I had a bad oil filter, blocking all oil. It was a K&N, never again

I only use wix on all cars now.

Oh. I was a little late on the oil topic....:eek:

Last edited:
Back