Sun Visors Rehab - Let the games begin

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a volt meter, check for power at the wiring connector (I think the wire is pink but could be wrong). It should be 12 volts all of the time.

If not, check the fuse. If that connector touches the frame, it will pop the fuse right away.

You have to pop that connector in quite a distance, as well.

Justwondering

Reaction score
You are correct... its a pink wire although I covered mine with green painters tape while it was in the roof during my interior upgrade.

I'll check the fuses in the morning. I should have thought of that.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Two hardware stores and the auto parts store and no luck on a new connector for the vanity light. Sigh.

That means the internet or a trip to the bigger city.

Its these little things that I can't get locally that drive me nuts...(nuttier than normal for me.. lol)

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I might have, or can get one, but I need to see which part you are referring to.
A pic, please?

Justwondering

Reaction score
Here is the adapter that needs replacing -- goes to the vanity mirror sun visor.
IMG_5524.jpg

IMG_5525.jpg

And here is my first sewing in 10 years on a machine with no zipper foot...
IMG_5526.jpg
IMG_5527.jpg

This will definitely get redone once I can either 1) find a zipper foot that fits the old machine or 2) find the power supply for my mom's machine.

I should have just hand basted it. Ah well. It is a little better.

lowbudget

Reaction score
On that connector, can you just replace it with a bullet connector?

My sun-visors have bias tape around that edge. I ordered some Sunbrella bias tape from Sailrite. Hopefully it will match close enough if not it's off to Joanns. I could probably get away with re running my visors.......but I have to try. I'm going to try sewing it with a Bernina semi industrial machine that I bought for the case it was in for $10.00, It will go through 2 layers webbing and heavy Cordura. If not I'll pull my Thompson Mini Walker out and give it a try. I can always go grab my Singer walking foot out of storage if it's to tough for these smaller machines to handle......

Justwondering

Reaction score
Walking foot is too wide. You need a zipper foot or something similar.
I tried the walking foot... you will either have to widen the excess fabric around the insert so you have room for the walking foot OR you will have to sew your hem first and just use the walking food to restitch over the hem once the plastic insert is in.

I am jealous of your 10 dollar buy!

Darth-Car

Reaction score
For your first sewing project in 10 years, and not having the ideal equipment, I think it looks fabulous!

lowbudget

Reaction score
I got my dash out, repaired the A pillars, and got ready to recover them and the sun visors. I only have one sun visor.......WTF. I have searched all over. I even popped the back seat out. I walked my fence line in case the wind got it. I looked in every car...nothing. I'm actually thinking someone might be messing with me. I need to go look at the Grand Fury in my friends collection. My F bodies are all different.

On a positive note I got new front speakers installed.

Mr C

Reaction score
Great "How to" thread! Thanks!

lowbudget

Reaction score
IMG_0763.JPG
I am finished. I had to drag out the Thompson Mini Walker to do the visors. The a pillars turned out nice, don't mind the fingerprints as that is from me sewing. They are gone now.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Tonight about 7:30 I got a pkg delivery from my cousin. New sewing machine.
Her sister died a few years ago and no one sews much so it found its way to me. I should be able to get the visors finished now

It came packed with some wrangler jeans...anybody wear size 37x36?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A couple numbers too low on first number and couple numbers too high on the other (or maybe the other way around).

You forgot to mention if for Male or Female.

Back