Super six step by step link

69moredoor

Reaction score
Ok folks…the one barrel slant is done in my 80 aspen…
I got a replacement slant but it has the two barrel intake, two barrel carb, and bracket attached…
The sheer amount of pages is staggering, but I’m really looking for a step by step page.
I’m torn Between doing the upgrade, or using a one barrel adapter..

volaredon

Reaction score
If you have it don't even think of "not" using the 2 barrel

Hayzoos

Reaction score
I would be surprised to find a step by step swap of a super six for a single six. I have worked on both setups. Unfortunately, time has faded a lot of the necessary details of the differences for a swap as a factory like result. I do not recall anything major in difference though.

What I do recall is the bolts between the exhaust and intake manifolds are unique. I had access to a 200+ thousand rebuilt /6 (by my uncle who guaranteed his rebiulds for another 200 thou.) that was a single barrel that I put into my first car a '79 Lebaron super six. My brother went nuts with wrench turning and not only removed the manifolds, but separated them. Back then $5 per bolt seemed way expensive for three bolts. I looked around found nothing appropriate and eventually paid the $15 (probably like $50 now). So, in other words, do not separate the manifolds unless absolutely necessary. Although these days, I also have a bit more knowledge of stuff and could probably fab what I need just because.

I am sure there is enough expertise here to guide you through the swap. The /6 in either form is a good low rpm torque motor, which translates to not to shabby off the line for a factory motor. The super six is just enough more to run with some eights. Of course this is all about old carb tech era stuff. Modern GDI fours can embarrass my factory '87 5th Ave. 318.

I say just go for it and post up when you run into an issue. Given a good description of your issue (and maybe a picture or two), I am sure we can get you going with the super six.

volaredon

Reaction score
hate to say it doesnt take much to "embarrass" the M body cars of that timeframe.

Back