Suspension Upgrades

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Got a 1986 Plymouth Caravelle Saloon, pretty much all the bushings for the suspension are gone. Gonna take this opportunity to possibly make some upgrades, I know its gonna be a shit load of work to press out all these bushings so I wanna know what upgrade options I have. I wanna lower her a little and make the ride a cloud. So smooth I can drink an open cup of coffee on the road with a white interior if you catch my drift.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Cloud ride with still being OK handling?

Keep the spring rates low and go big on the anti-sway bars. Either factory police bars, front and rear, or go hit up Firm Feel for a matching set of their bars.

Also, no poly bushings. All rubber. Keep the rubber k-frame isolators and rear axle spring pads. People typically replace those for solid mounts. I would replace them with brand new rubber.

Shocks are probably on order. A good set of Monroe Sensatrac maybe. To be honest the selection of shocks available for these cars is horrible.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There are rubber as well as urethane (or polyurethane) upper and lower control arm bushings. I highly recommend replacing those bushings with rubber - otherwise your kidneys will feel every grain of sand on the road, every blonde hair as well as every ant or bug you drive over. This is one area I do not recommend urethane bushings - unless you plan on doing some serious racing with the car.

Parts that normally wear out are:
Lower Control Arm:
Screenshot 2021-10-05 143703.png

Lower Ball Joint and Control Arm Bushing are items that normally wear out (blue circles).
Lower Control Arm rubber stop (purple circle) - which are sometimes missing or broken. If broken or missing, you will have metal on metal after hitting a large bump in the road. If intact, no need to replace.
K-frame to frame rubber bushings (more about this later).

Upper Control Arm:
Screenshot 2021-10-05 143334.png

Blue circles are the same as top picture. These items to normally wear out on cars life.
Upper Control Arm rubber stop - sometimes this is broken or missing. If intact, leave alone.

Torsion Bars:
Screenshot 2021-10-05 144107.png

Shocks do wear out - and is the most common thing to wear (on any car). I would replace these before anything else.
Torsion Bar Bushings (brown circles) at K-frame or at Lower Control Arm. These items do give some people problems but most of us, those bushings are usually good. The bad news is if your torsion bar bushings are bad, there are none available (from Chrysler or aftermarket). More about torsion bars below.

Steering:
Screenshot 2021-10-05 165634.png

The Tie Rod Ends are an item that wears out, with the Pittman Arm and Idler arm a small distance behind (gold circles). Slop in the steering gear (pink arrow) is a bigger issue - but maybe the least cost effective item to fix.

Sway Bar:
Screenshot 2021-10-05 221932.png

Here Urethane (or Polyurethane) makes a HUGE difference on how car handles over rubber. Unless there are no options, I will NOT use rubber for sway bars (as opposed to control arm bushings, where I WILL NOT use urethane). Bushings for item # 3 and 5 are almost universal parts.
The sway bar frame bushings (item # 10) are more specialized - but can be located. The trick with middle bar bushings is to measure the diameter of bar and the outside diameter to get good replacements. Also, one will need to cut the middle bushings to get them to fit.
Also, links (item #1) have a tendency to break sometimes.

The big thing is not to replace items are not wore out. If ball joints are within wear limits and have grease zerts installed - use 'em (and keep 'em greased). Rubber control arm bushings do normally crack and probably do need to be replaced. If you need to replace ball joints or tie rod ends, get greasable replacements. If you grease the joints every oil change, they should outlast the car.

I agree with @Duke5A - the sway bar might make the biggest difference on handling once the worn/broken parts are replaced (I added the last item). The bad news is decades ago, there were a few companies who made sway bars for FMJ's. Now there is only one - Firm Feel. As far as factory parts, there are two different sway bars used. Front and rear bars from a police car or the one used for every other FMJ. The Firm Feel bars are rather proud of their parts - but at least someone has 'em.

Firm feel also makes torsion bars - but unless you are making a full time race car or have an extra heavy engine, they are not worth the extra ride harshness. The factory torsion bars on all FMJ's are all exactly the same - except the police torsion bars had extra hard bushings.

Going back to the torsion bars. This is one area we can adjust to lower the car (or raise it, if wanted) - but if you do crank on those torsion bar adjusters, you will need to get car aligned afterwards.

The rubber K-frame to body mounts are nice when car is new. After a few decades, the rubber starts to sag like someones great grandmother (opps, did I say that out loud?). What happens on a fast hard turn, the steering moves the K-frame accordingly, then the rest of the body follows after a lengthy time delay. Finding new rubber replacement mounts is not easy (not made new, sense the '80's). Depending on the condition of your existing bushings and if needed, this is one area I recommend replacing the rubber K-frame mounts with factory cast iron replacements, or FFI's pricey aluminum mounts or Urethane. The K-frame mounts have one corner (the one closest to steering wheel) that is a bear to replace but other three are not so bad. If you want to replace them, I would wait until one had a reason to drop the K-frame - then replace them at same time.

Now the expensive item - the steering gear. Most of our steering gears either leak or are "sloppy" (ie: lots of slop). There are ways to rid the slop but in most cases there are only two good ways to do so. One is FFI's steering gear rebuilds. I actually have one in my garage ready for install. I have heard good things from another company, Steer and Gear (...I think is their name). I've not used them but have heard others have without any complaints from either company.
There is another company making new replacement steering gears adapted to fit FMJ's and they are one of our forum boards sponsors - Borgeson. They appear to be a much better steering gear for our cars - but, again, are (also) pricey.

Lastly, the last thing that can make our cars ride better, has nothing to do with the front end. That is the rear suspension ISO mounts (I mean, getting rid of). Those flat rubber biscuits holding the rear differential to the leaf springs were not the best when new, and after a few decades are just troublesome and don't do a thing for all-in-all ride-ability. Replacing the ISO mounts to older style shock mounts will raise the rear of your car about 1/2" and will make car ride better, less choppy on hard brakes and if your has some power, less likely to hop on hard takeoffs. They do improve the ride harshness the first couple of years - but after 10 years, it degrades it more so than any improvement it made. Also. the metal used on the lower ISO clamp is not that strong and are a common part failure.
One side benefit to replacing the ISO clamps with older Shock plates, is you can use the more readily available A, B & E-body rear shocks. Sorry, not much options for the front shocks - but any new front shocks will make car ride so much better than wore out old ones.

I have a press and tools. Replacing control arm bushings is not a biggie to me. If you lived closer, I'd say come on down, bring a couple cold ones and we can have the bushings replaced in no time.

If you have any questions, make note and post 'em.
BudW

80mirada

Reaction score
I bought my upper control arm tool off eBay for $65. Firm Feel offers Urethane bushings for the torsion bars (as do a few others), but the are just the bushing and not the shell so the outer shell has to be reused.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
just the bushing and not the shell so the outer shell has to be reused.
I haven't performed a torsion bar bushing replacement yet, but it doesn't seam to be quite as easy to do as the rest of the suspension repairs are - because those metal shells are spot-welded together. For what I see, they are a PITA to work with.

Sub03

Reaction score
I replaced all the parts Bud mentioned in his post above. Off course I forgot to take pictures along the way.

I went all rubber except the K-mounts and torsion bar bushings.
The only special tool i bought for the job was the upper ball joint socket and a Miller alignment tool:

Proforged Chassis Parts 124-10001 Proforged Dodge A/B/E-Body Ball Joint Removal Tools | Summit Racing
Remember too loosen the upper ball joint with the control arm still attached to the car

miller-4576-caster-camber-hook_1_c484bae3a7b5c388de06fc3379d158da.jpg
miller-4576-caster-camber-hook_1_c484bae3a7b5c388de06fc3379d158da.jpg

But I do have access to a hydraulic press at work, you will need one for dismantling the control arm bushings and the torsion end bushing piece from the bar. The torsion end was the thing I struggled the most getting off. First the rivet had to come out, and then the end piece was rusted solid to the torsion bar.

The rest wasn't too bad, but prepare to fab up some creative solutions for getting the UCA bushings out. IIRC some big square washers and a bench wise was used in combination with foul language and a sixpack for thinking clearer...
But there is a tool for the job out there as Mirada 80 mentioned.

The handling on my Aspen improved more than I could dream of. I did it all in one operation so I cannot pinpoint what did the greatest difference. But I did modify the slots on the UCA-bracket some to get more positive (+4.5 degrees) caster on it. Also adjusted camber to about -0.5 degrees.
I suspect that and the poly K-frame pucks did a lot to improve the handling.

There are some threads on this forum with pictures and explanations. They sure did help me a lot.

20200420_191626.jpg20200420_191633.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you @Sub03. Those upper ball joints (if needing to be replaced, that is, do need to be removed and re-installed with upper control arm(s) still attached to the car. A lot of torque is needed to replace them and having a car fixed in place helps many-times fold. If trying to remove or replace with control arm in a bench vice, the whole bench will rotate or turn over.

I like your paint job! The only thing I might recommend doing additional might be to put some clear paint on the bushings and/or ball joint tops, to prevent rust and more so, to aid with cleaning.

69-

Reaction score
I like it, too. Thanks for the camber tool hint. I did a full front axle Job on my Dodge MB400 - essentially exact the same setup as with the M-Bodys except the 4000lbs axle has coil springs.
Before putting it all together again my UCA and LCA looked the same. Then came my "abilities" and on are the scratches. :D

Anyway, does the camber tool work while the tire is mounted? Doing camber-caster is technically quiet easy, but on-measure-off-on-measure again was kind of like a pita (may be my "abilities, again, though) and hardly any shop here in Germany would touch such an axle setup at a 10.500lbs camper.
I was even thinking about fabricating a small tool to precisely adjust the UCA with a screw.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There are variations of the official Miller tool (Miller is the official special tool maker for Chrysler). They are all hit and miss but once you get used to them, you can get get the alignment spot on quickly - providing you have enough camber adjustment. I have started a thread dedicated to this: Alignment problems?.

Sub03

Reaction score
Yes, I used the tool with wheels on the ground, but with the front end weight resting on the wheels it is kind of a wrestle.
That makes it almost impossible to do fine adjustments because when you get on it too much the UCA suddenly jumps out of position.
I like your idea of making a tool with bolts/treads to move the control arm. Could have saved me some time, sweat and soare knuckles.

It's hard to move the UCA in (towards the frame) with weight on the wheels.
My trick was to muscle the UCA as far in as it would go, and then tighten the nuts just enough so I could tap it outwards in small steps with the tool. New caster/camber measurement - new babystep adjustment and so on.

I got my son to help me so he tuned the adjustment nuts while I used the Miller tool.

I highly recommend reading Bud's alignment tread. Lots of good info from him and the rest of the guys as always.

Last edited:

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone, this is a mountain of information and I can't wait to put it took good use. As far as the upper ball joints I know the struggle, I had one go one me and it took me 3 weeks to get off, countless tools from sites that said they would work and all they did was bend. I got a square socket from a guy in another city with a 2 1/2 ft breaker bar and put everything I had into it. Made light work of it with the right tool. Is easily my most life saving tools because without it the car would still be on blocks. If any of your have beads on those police cruiser parts that are somewhere on the west side of Canada I would love the help.

Duke5A

Reaction score
When I rebuilt the suspension I just took the arms off and into a shop. $80 to install the bushings and u-joints I provided on all four. Money well spent.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
I will add one comment re: ISO biscuits. You have other options beyond having the yank the whole setup out.

For example, you can simply source the EnergySuspension part# 5-6106G, which are the ISO biscuits but in POLY...basically the spring pack goes nowhere once wrapped around in those.

I like the "stock" look, and it's a day & night kind of a difference. That's what I have in my coupe, and with the proper pinion angle and snubber setups, sway bar and the adjustable KONI shocks I have no wheel hop ever! Granted, that config while providing awesome street manners does very little for a drag-racing launch...even after a decent burnout I cannot hook the tires...there is simply no weight transfer in the chassis.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I will add one comment re: ISO biscuits. You have other options beyond having the yank the whole setup out.

For example, you can simply source the EnergySuspension part# 5-6106G, which are the ISO biscuits but in POLY...basically the spring pack goes nowhere once wrapped around in those.

I like the "stock" look, and it's a day & night kind of a difference. That's what I have in my coupe, and with the proper pinion angle and snubber setups, sway bar and the adjustable KONI shocks I have no wheel hop ever! Granted, that config while providing awesome street manners does very little for a drag-racing launch...even after a decent burnout I cannot hook the tires...there is simply no weight transfer in the chassis.

The guy said he is looking for a cloud ride. That's why I recommended using rubber everywhere. Could probably use poly on the sway bar bushings without impacting ride comfort though.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
The guy said he is looking for a cloud ride. That's why I recommended using rubber everywhere. Could probably use poly on the sway bar bushings without impacting ride comfort though.
Good point, although what made me comment was the feedback BudW provided re: aged ISOs.

Regardless, you brought up an excellent point: my myopic vision brought on by the focus on "performance handling" sort of got out of hand...LOL!

To the OP: if you can source some NOS ISO pieces you could enjoy that soft ride once again.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Also if anyone has links or contacts for these parts I would love it!

Last edited:
Back