Swapping A-body shorty headers and exhaust to M-body

Monkeyed

Reaction score

I have no reason to get time slips, nor do I care what somebody else's says. What I mean by going to the track is to get the racing off of the street, and do it in a controlled, safe, environment that won't expose the general public to potential accidents. Some people use the track to tune their cars, to to see if some change was an improvement or not. More power to them, it is as valid a way as making a dyno run.

However, as above, do not be under any false delusion that this is a good, or to most folks, desirable characteristic. People want cars that move out well at the stop light, can get up to 80-90 mpj, and be all around enjoyable to drive cars. This is why I never "got" the Pro Street cars, and I still don't get the entire facination with drag racing; it is too one dimensional.

I don't really care if somebody has a 9, 10, 11, or 23 second times in the quarter mile. Tell me how much you enjoy your car, and how it works as a daily driver. Tell me what you did to get into the shape it is in, what you want to do going forward.

I should have clarified in the beginning, I won't even disagree with your first paragraph, I should have said "I used to" because that was a thing I did going on 20 years ago now...

Also agree getting racing off the streets and onto a track is a good thing, though it's too expensive and people get way too competitive there for me.

I don't hold any delusions, false or otherwise. I think that "good" in something like this is highly subjective. Don't really care too much about what is "desirable" to most folks. I don't enjoy cars that jackrabbit away from a stoplight, then need to shift before they get to the other side of it. I don't really care if it's not the most efficient way of getting around, if I wanted that I'd drive a Prius, or a Volt. What I enjoy to drive is probably not what 90% of people would.

I don't need my 5th to be a daily driver, in fact I'm intending to register it as a "historic" vehicle, meaning I can only drive it to or from car shows/events, and unlimited use in August. So, what I like is tall gears, wide ratios, and a broad powerband. That is what turns the pretty girls heads, and that matters :rolleyes:

Besides, you can't convince me that a motor turning higher rpm for the same speed is going to last longer with fewer problems than the identical motor revving low. You can argue this and that until the cows come home, but you can't change the physics of momentum and pressures. that's my $.02

Again, I guess I knew what I was saying would probably rile someone up, but I really am not trying to offend you.

Back