WANTED T-top for '77 Plymouth Volare Road Runner F-body

Status
Not open for further replies.

S&W1076

Reaction score
Contact seller
I just purchased a 1977 Plymouth Volare w/Road Runner package. Great car but the driver's side T-top blew off the car and was destroyed. Any help in locating a replacement would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
It's always the driver side with 77's. And they're a single year top of course. You can use the 78-80 tops with the steel tabs on them tho. They do fit and that's what I'm running on my cars just like practically everybody else. You just tap the tabs sideways under the glass with a mallet and it's all good. But here's where it get's ugly. Expect to buy a pair to get any, and expect $550 or more. Then because of size and fragility, you can expect another $150+ shipping, plus crating fee, or a very long drive to a seller who will not crate for shipment. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But sure would Love to see your car! Here's ours.

2019-07-29 15.45.58.jpg

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Were you able to save any of the parts from the old top?

Last edited:

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
^^^ GOOD QUESTION^^^
I always save the broken ones for their latch mechanism parts. Bar ends gets worn, then they jam. ..and the next thing you know, you've snapped a latch handle off in your hand.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Im probably shooting myself in the foot here, but ive a set for the op if he happens to have a nos set of 76-77 aspen tail lights stashed away. Ive found the best way for me to get parts I need is to give up good parts for good parts. I will not sell these only trade.

I will probably never get to this car so I might as well part it, I took this last night. Great shape, just 20 years of dust.

T Trade.png

S&W1076

Reaction score
Thank you all for responding. Unfortunately the drivers latch mechanism and all the hardware on the driver's T-top were destroyed. MY experience over the past 50 years focused on B and Ebody. I have become accustomed to expensive parts. If you all are telling me where to look I'm afraid I'm a bit dense. My car was originally orange and has been painted black, as in bumper to bumper black. The original 318 has been replaced by a 360 4 barrel. Interior is fair to good. It has the upgraded rear end. The fender tag is present and I have not pulled the rear seat to look for the broadcast sheet. Please point me in the right direction for the T-top. Thanks, Dave

1977 Plymouth Volare Roadrunner (2).JPG

1977 Plymouth Volare Roadrunner.JPG

P1080191.JPG

1977 Plymouth Volare Roadrunner-3.JPG

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Ah, Sweet! Was that out of PA or NY? If so I remember talking with the previous owner a few years ago about getting tops for it because it was only cracked at that time. I thought I recalled that being a 360 2bbl car originally?

XfbodyX, I sure hope that's not a 360 car!

XfbodyX

Reaction score
no 318 4 speed

I recall that car too, easy to remember with that grille. Nice looking car.

S&W1076

Reaction score
Based on what the seller told me I believe the car did come out of New York. He said he had never been able to locate a replacement t-top. According to the fender tag this is a 318 2 barrel car. I love all black vehicles, e.g., Buick Grand National or Mad Max Interceptor.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Did you buy it with all the extras it was listed with? Including the ER visit exhaust tips?

How did you crash a top? car looks solid.

Was that a two tag car ending in 214 or 515?

00l0l_cl7l6qoIYjS_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_kRwlX3L539X_1200x900.jpg

00b0b_6yuFKnvbcrx_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

S&W1076

Reaction score
Those are definitely photos of my car. The t-top was smashed before I bought the car a couple of weeks ago in NC. There is only one fender tag and it ends in 214. No parts acme with the car. there were no "ER exhaust tips." Sounds like many members know much more history about this car that I do. Any information is greatly appreciated. I really have no use for the sound system but what the hey. Did the owner try to sell the car in NY?

XfbodyX

Reaction score
looking at your tag, CTD in the upper right hand corner?

Last edited:

S&W1076

Reaction score
The fact that the former owner was never able to find a replacement t-top is very concerning. I could have replacement glass made. But the chrome piece is damaged beyond repair. Again, any leads to find or repair the right side t-top?

XfbodyX

Reaction score
It means you only have one of the tags of your 2 tag car, CTD ive got a scan and some other info.

You will be able to find one, you have just been on this site a short time. 5 days.

S&W1076

Reaction score
I will be very grateful for any information regarding the car's history. One of the joys about being a classic car owner is to be able to learn, document and share its history with others. Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back