Tail light Experiment

Justwondering

Reaction score
While I'm trying to figure out where the water is getting in to my trunk, I find that the rear taillights are looking way too shabby.

There have been several recommendations about rehabbing the silvering on the plastic:
- rechrome with multi-stage process
- mask it and paint it with silver paint
- put pin-striping on it
- take it off and just polish up the lenses

I'm going to experiment. This will run for a year or so (depends on funding for the paint job next year).

Before:
IMG_4092.jpg

Leftside is going to have bright silver:
IMG_4100.jpg

No masking, to tape, free hand highlighting of the raised lense areas.

Right side before:
IMG_4093.jpg

Right side will be plain silver
IMG_4101.jpg

Right side after. This pen has a rounded tip. The other pen used on the driver side had a chisel tip.

Both sides completed with one coat:
IMG_4099.jpg

And for comparison, here is the before so you don't have to scroll to the top:
well this is rather awkward. I didn't take a complete photo of the rear before I started...Doh!

My next step is to get the pin striping and use that on the center portion. I'll also go back and put a second coat of paint on each side to ensure complete coverage.

So why didn't I tape things off and make this look stellar?
Its an experiment on how well these paint pens and penstriping hold up in the weather.
This is to be a daily driver, not a show car. I want to determine if the different types of silver paint wear the same. I also haven't applied pinstriping before, so this looks like a chance to give that a go.

After I get everything in place, I'll go ahead and apply future floor wax liquid to the lenses to rehab the red plastic a bit.

The end result should give me enough info to make a decision on how I want to prep the lenses next year so they look as good as the paint job I'm saving for.

Aspen500

Reaction score
If you are very patient with an eye for detail work, the Eastwood Liquid Chrome system works very well. You do need an air brush to apply it though. Used it on the my taillamp "chrome" and it's about 90% chrome-like. Won't kid you, it was a long process and very tedious (especially the masking) but came out really good and was WAY less than having them vacuum plated again.
The process is the plastic must be polished, then the gloss black, followed by the clear. The clear needs to be absolutely glass smooth without even the finest scratch, then the "chrome" gets MISTED on. After that is a special clear. There's specific drying times for each step, like 5-10 days time which is why you can't be in too much of a hurry to need them. Follow the instructions exactly, no shortcuts and it'll come out nice. As I said,,,,,,,,,patience is needed and no, I don't work for Eastwood :)

It's actually a lot more reflective than it looks in the indoor photo with my crappy old camera.

DSCF0006.JPG

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
How did you deal with the two places it looks like someone knocked a groove right across the raised area you wanted to chrome?
--- Post updated ---
IMG_3323.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
How did you deal with the two places it looks like someone knocked a groove right across the raised area you wanted to chrome?
Can you take a picture of what you mean. I'm not sure what you are asking, exactly.

That is quite the difference (before and after). I obtained a 2nd pair of taillights to polish and paint. You make it look easy.

I also want to adapt sequential tail lights at same time - only one in a few hundred projects on waiting list . . .

BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
It is a small gouge in the lense as if someone backed into something and it left a groove. Will get a picture to you today

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I do hope I don’t cause any problems here (with permissions and/or with Silver Bullet).
I started a PM (conversation) with Silver Bullet wondering how he did his door panel that way.

Attached are snip-its of our conversation:

Pinstripping Q1.GIF

Pinstripping A1.GIF

Pinstripping Q2.GIF

Pinstripping A2.GIF

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I do hope I don’t cause any problems here (with permissions and/or with Silver Bullet).
I started a PM (conversation) with Silver Bullet wondering how he did his door panel that way.

Attached are snip-its of our conversation:

I've seen that stuff. I'll have to check it out.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The chrome would be more “shiny” than the paint used above.
I wonder about how long it will remain in place, though.
If it unpeels, it could be more unsightly than paint fade.

If showing the car, it would have to give you more “shine”.

The intention with my 5th Ave is: I want “GO” wrapped around what looks like an “old grandma’s car” (with exception of sequential tail lights, which I think would be cool).
My factory pin stripping is half fallen off and a few door dings, which adds to my deception.

BudW

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Well speaking of 20 footers. The bottom lip of my grille is actually aluminum foil tape. The chrome was worn off. It actually turned out really well.

20150712_165929-1.jpg

Back