Texting! DOH!

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I drive my own daily driver, and company trucks (usually heavy pickups as in 1 ton diesels). Sometimes, I ride along with some of the other guys driving, and inevitably, they start to text or talk on their cell phones. I tell them to either pull over or put the phone away. I get the usual "I can do this", "I'm in complete control" type of stuff. My answer to them is always "From the way you drive, you weren't even in full control when you weren't on the phone/texting away. Put it away, now, or you will never drive again for this company". I get the usual back talk, and then point out that I report to the ocmpany safety manager, and that company policy doesn't allow for cellphone use while driving, and whether they think that if I bring this up with my manager that they will continue to drive? That puts an end to that right there. It isn't enough that what they are doing is dangerous, or that it is against the law (and they are driving a company vehicle, which has legal and insurance implications), its that they feel they need to give me backtalk as well.

I talked on a cellphone while driving, once, about 12 years ago when I first got one. Almost had an accident by going through an intersection against the lights. That one time was the last time I ever talked on a cellphone while driving. Now, it stays in a front pants pocket, and I don't link it into the hands free system in my car.

I think that the whole "car entertainment" idea needs to be scrapped. If you are driving, do you actually need to be entertained? Do you actually need a DVD playing in the dash while you are driving? Do we need to make it easier for people to use their cell phones in cars, or do we need to equip cars with an RF noise generator so that as soon as you step into the car, you have no signal? Why do the governments not write laws to prohibit the use of "entertainment devices" from working while the car is in motion? Why don't they write laws to require equipment be installed that prevents the use of cellphones? Technically, it can be done.

Kostas

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I drive my own daily driver, and company trucks (usually heavy pickups as in 1 ton diesels). Sometimes, I ride along with some of the other guys driving, and inevitably, they start to text or talk on their cell phones. I tell them to either pull over or put the phone away. I get the usual "I can do this", "I'm in complete control" type of stuff. My answer to them is always "From the way you drive, you weren't even in full control when you weren't on the phone/texting away. Put it away, now, or you will never drive again for this company". I get the usual back talk, and then point out that I report to the ocmpany safety manager, and that company policy doesn't allow for cellphone use while driving, and whether they think that if I bring this up with my manager that they will continue to drive? That puts an end to that right there. It isn't enough that what they are doing is dangerous, or that it is against the law (and they are driving a company vehicle, which has legal and insurance implications), its that they feel they need to give me backtalk as well.

I talked on a cellphone while driving, once, about 12 years ago when I first got one. Almost had an accident by going through an intersection against the lights. That one time was the last time I ever talked on a cellphone while driving. Now, it stays in a front pants pocket, and I don't link it into the hands free system in my car.

I think that the whole "car entertainment" idea needs to be scrapped. If you are driving, do you actually need to be entertained? Do you actually need a DVD playing in the dash while you are driving? Do we need to make it easier for people to use their cell phones in cars, or do we need to equip cars with an RF noise generator so that as soon as you step into the car, you have no signal? Why do the governments not write laws to prohibit the use of "entertainment devices" from working while the car is in motion? Why don't they write laws to require equipment be installed that prevents the use of cellphones? Technically, it can be done.

Kostas

:thumbsup:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Well it's not a texting story but it is an idiot driver story.
I'm coming into work this morning and some clown in an Audi (what else?) is cutting people off and zipping in and out of lanes. Every set of lights I pull up directly behind him. Then we go...same stupidity olympics.....next set of lights I'm directly behind him. Finally I couldn't resist.....he got stuck behind a slowpoke and I passed him in the right lane and I wound up in front of him at the next lights. Could have sworn I smelt something burning. :toothy9:

What a moron......

Monkeyed

Reaction score

Kostas

I drive local deliveries, when I'm not doing shippin or receiving. I don't feel the need to constantly be on the phone, I guess I'm odd in that to me the best thing in the world to be doing (besides having sex) is driving. what the hell do I need to be on the damn phone for?! unless they're calling me to pick something up while I'm out, or if I have the wrong address, there's no point..

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Wait.....people have phones in their cars???????

Why would a being with brains need a phone inside a car?
Are you freekin driving or making a freekin phone call?

Why not put holes in the seat bottom's so you can take a dump while you drive?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Wait.....people have phones in their cars???????

Why would a being with brains need a phone inside a car?
Are you freekin driving or making a freekin phone call?

Why not put holes in the seat bottom's so you can take a dump while you drive?

One stop plopping.....
That might be next.....

slant6billy

Reaction score
A few years ago when I was new to management, I had a technical writer who would "phone in" to meetings. He was editing a draft of a plan while I gave him edits in the conference call. I asked him if working from home required discipline? He said he was currently driving his daughter to school. I told him to hang up the phone and just swing by the office for "Chat". The "Chat" was while he turned over his work and saw the door. And this guy was in his late 40s or early 50s. His work was good, but I really could not see him being reliable when he put his kid at risk. Hell, he was talking on the phone, making edits, driving and probably doing something else as well. I did not dig cutting him loose, but that crap scared me. Other people called me a hypocrite since I'll light up my back tires with the kids in the car. I'm looking 360° when I do that for obvious reasons, so I don't put it in the same category. A driver cannot be one with the road when they are preoccupied with a 5 inch screen of conversation

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Most people anymore think they're invincible in cars nowadays. So, even if they're texting and driving, if they hit someone it'll be ok. The airbag will go off and they'll be fine..and that's if they think "that" far ahead. When I was first learning how to drive, I paid attention when dad taught me. Something I didn't need to be taught, was that a car can very easily become a weapon. So, I respect that. My brother on the other hand..he's had more cars than I've had alcohol..lol. And that's because he doesn't care.

I know this is going to come out of left field. but please bear with me. This reminds me of something that happened in junior (high minors, like AAA baseball minor leagues).hockey in Quebec (still living in Montreal at the time). The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) was one of the first to mandate the use of hockey helmets for safety reasons. After a new years of this, the violence level had increased to the point where there were many times more injuries than prior to helmets being made mandatory. Turns out, that prior to the mandatory helmet regulation, if you hit somebody in the head, retaliation was to follow shortly. With the helmets, players would regularly make headshots, because the other guy was wearing a helmet and wouldn't get hurt. However, the other guy DID get hurt.

Similar to the mindset of a lot of drivers. I want to text, talk, watch a DVD while driving, what's the worst that could happen? I'm surrounded by 324 airbags, I won't get hurt. Well, maybe you won't, maybe you will, but what about the other person in the collision? Maybe they aren't surrounded by airbags, and even if they don't get killed or injured, maybe you are taking the only mode of transportation that can get them to work. Maybe they are driving a car that is precious to them (could be a classic, or special interest car, or maybe its something handed down to them by a deceased family member, or was given to them for a special reason). Insurance will cover that, right? WRONG. Try to explain to a regular insurance company that your 1967 Cadillac is worth more than scrap metal value. Alternative it to make a claim on your own insurance, which will raise YOUR OWN rates because the insurance company of the person causing the accident won't acknowledge the value of your car.

We spend a lot of hours working on our cars. Regular insurance won't cover them (sometimes doesn't even insure them at all), and collector car insurance may cover the value or not, depending on how recent your appraisal was.

Again, the solution seems obvious. EitherL

A: prevent cell phone usage in cars with real world technology (laws are passed, but they don't work, people still text/talk while driving, I see it all the time, I'm sure I'm not the only one seeing it)

or

B. Pass real laws. Talking or texting is $172 fine here. Keep that, but we all know the cops can't enforce it; pass a law that is simple. Have an accident while on the phone, get 3 months of jail time. Do it again, a year. Do it a third time, lose your license for life, along with 3 years in jail.

Kostas

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Kostas

I couldn't agree more. The perceived notion of safety has turned everybody into a careless idiot and they're not concerned about you in the least.
Was it the 80's that they called the "me" decade?
Ha! THIS is the most self important decade I've ever seen.
People will speed up to close a gap in bumper to bumper traffic rather than let you in so they can get a foot closer to that red light. I've seen women ripping down the highway doing their mascara. I've seen guys in massive trucks doing 15 under the speed limit swerving all over the road while they're texting or having a chat....it's gotten to the point where everytime you hop on the 401 or the QEW.....two of our major highways, you're rolling the dice.
There's easily two to five major accidents on either DAILY.
The best "doable" idea I've heard to date is to install a signal jammer that will prevent any wireless device use as soon as the car is put into gear.
This insanity has to stop.

slant6billy

Reaction score
That signal jammer would come in handy when I am having a status meeting. I get folks in the room, but they are not really in the room when they are texting, watching stocks, world cup or some ESPN crap or FOX Sports (Arm Chair quarterbacking BS). These millennial (Generation Y or generation why me?) are a tough audience in a too large of a group. I always start out with," I ask if everyone stop multitasking and focus on this....."

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Humans in general are STUPID.

Oh, they think they are so smart, but if aliens from another planet ever landed, even Stephen Hawkings would be compared intelligence wise to a dog that can roll over on command.

Back in my day 'distracted driving' was having a beer between the legs, smoking a joint, digging out another 8 track to put in the under dash player, while driving a huge manual car with no power options.

Back