The Buy American Thread

drpreposterous

Reaction score
Does someone have the know-how to re-post this on FB, Reddit or Twitter?

Last week I read a Forbes article that cited FTC and others sources estimating that the Peoples (Putative) Republic of China is the source of 80 to 86 percent of the world's counterfeit and knock-off goods. Many are not just shoddy con jobs, they're downright dangerous. And Amazon readily admits they have a significant problem with vendors selling phony designer goods.

Ya wanna buy Chinese? Go check out Taiwan goods!

I just spend the better part of a Sunday afternoon compiling all the Made in USA websites and search engines I could find. Then I tried to post them on places I don't really frequent (FB and Reddit) and was unable to do it. Too confusing for me! I know folks get skittish about opening documents/attachments, but in case you are inclined to send this info along or know how to post it somewhere, here's the attachment of my findings:

Made USA database.pdf

And here's the text..
First up! An extension you can add to your browser that will filter Amazon results to put “Made in USA” products at the top of the page.

Buy Localized - Made in USA filter on Amazon

The Better Business Bureau’s guide to buying American (includes tips on counterfeit goods and false claims). Note the distinction between “Made in USA” and “Assembled in USA.”

BBB Tip: A shopper’s guide to buying products made in the USA

Manufacturers in the US

All American Made Clothing (clothing)
New Balance USA Collection - New Balance (athletic shoes)
https://www.untuckit.com Premium clothing made in USA
Microwaves Made In The USA: Highest Quality American Microwaves Microwaves made in USA. Note: Only the Amana looks to be still available...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Websites/search engines for American-made products

Still Made in USA.com - American-made Home Appliances Appliances and clothing
Wolf Appliance, Inc. - US Made in America Products & Company Listing Directory Appliances
BuyLocalized.com: Find American Made products in all Categories
Made In The USA - MadeInTheUSA.com
Products Made in the USA - Reasons to Buy American-Made Goods (Cars and appliances)
https://americansworking.com/ (huge number of categories)
Clothing (clothing database with many hyperlinks)
Here Are 100+ Brands That Are Made in the USA (clothing, cookware, shoes, furniture, tools, electronics, miscellaneous)

Best Gifts Made In The USA (gifts)
Categories Archives (use the pull-down menu to search by category)
Best Wholesale Made In USA Vendors - WholesaleCentral.com (clothing, beauty and speciality items)
https://www.americanmanufacturing.org/made-in-america/Search engine
Still Made in USA.com - American-made Products for Home and Family search engine
THE AMERICAN MADE GUIDE CURATED BY AUTHENTICITY 50 Hyperlinks by category, with everything from furniture to cookware and luggage, among other things
The American List | Made in USA Companies | Made in America Hyperlinks for clothing, apparel and gifts

Made in the USA Directory | Find American Made Products More hyperlinks with multiple categories
Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More This website has a variety of products, from gifts and clothing to furniture. The site also features a filter for searches for “Made in USA” products.
https://www.usalovelist.com Gifts
https://www.usaproductsonly.com Multiple categories

Aspen500

Reaction score
I always try to buy "Made in USA" whenever it's possible. If not, the next choice is any country EXCEPT China. I like how place such as Summit Racing denote the made in USA products. There are others as well such as Fleet Farm Menard's, etc... If you read the criteria for a product to be labeled Mae in USA, it doesn't just mean ASSEMBLED in USA from Chinese made parts. Can't recall off hand the percentage but, a large majority of the components and raw material have to from the U.S. or it can't be labeled made in USA.

What's sad is, just how many big name companies products that Summit carries DON'T have the Made in USA designation. I hope they wake up and see what relying on China ends up causing. Short supply, no supply, and crappy products. Dorman I'm talking to you. They used to be good but not so much nowdays. Can't tell you how many times at work a Dorman product either is so sloppiy made that it doesn't even fit, or fails 2 days later or,,,,,,,,,,,,is bad right out of the box. More than once we've gotten a bad part, and the replacement is also bad OOTB, as well as the third. In the end, we get one from a dealer (if available) and all s well. Only downside is, it's usually not that same day. Lately, we've been only using Dorman when thee simply is no other choice.

As you said, so much of the Chinese made products are not only poor quality, the quality is so poor as to be dangerous, or deadly.

Let's go Brandon!

R.png

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
So here is the thing you guys (put your seat-belts on extra tight because this may prove to be a bumpy ride for ya!):

1) I support the "Made in the Free World" way of doing business
- ideally this distributes wealth around, so whomever was selling the extra garden vegetables six months ago, has hopefully earned enough money to buy some fancy (higher-end) goods today with those extra earnings
- the premise here is that the manually intensive labour moves around, brings the initial injection of wealth-acquisition EVERYWHERE, and grows new consumer base for higher priced products (which theoretically keeps us employed, the folks that 6 months ago may have started by selling the said "garden vegetables")
- this is basically "Capitalism/Free Market Economy 101"

2) I have a real problem with populace who only want to drink the "political cool-aid"
- ask yourself a question why the free market principles are not enforced by your current government?
- this does NOT require you to be American, heck applies equally anywhere in the world, I am very pissed off by what's currently going on in our Canadian economy
- so if you see the problem, focus on fixing the root cause, as opposed to just putting a band-aid on it, because that's what "Buy Made-in-Wherever" really is => political cool-aid

3) Isolationist Policy is a Dead-End
- yup, let me bring this closer home: US, Canada and Mexico are SUPPOSED to have the world's most extensive free trade agreement
- this has been a GOOD deal for all three parties: not everyone wins all the time, but at the macro level we have all benefited
- so why is US today going rampant on this "Made in America" thing even when it comes to dealing with it's closest trading partners? People, Mopar Friends, do you think of me to be as evil and as rotten as the best Chinese PRC politician who simply wants to flood the foreign market with his slave labour products?
- compare this to what's going on in the EU: THAT is the world's biggest trading block, make no mistake about it, their fight is with China right now, and yet neither the US nor Canadian governments can figure out how to come together on this and serve the PRC such a lesson in 'Capitalism 101' that they'll never forget

translation => when the rest of the world STOPS buying their goods, the Chinese economy will collapse, their domestic consumption hasn't developed to the level required to sustain itself, they are far too dependent on foreign sales, but will not get done by each one of us individually, this has to be done at Trading Block level...big government and big business working together!!

So in principle I get what you are saying, but I do not agree with the implementation. The current lack of enforcement is the problem, our elected officials owe us that fix and we should hold them to account.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Why is this bullshit political topic even being discussed here? Cant one dam car site stay off controversial things related to government and politics?

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Why is this bullshit topic even being discussed here? Cant one dam car site stay about cars?

Like the name says: "General Non Automotive Discussion" forum I suppose?

...or do we have a site here that flat out (charter, etc.) states that no political/economy stuff belongs here.

I am fine either way, but the rules should be spelled out.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Here there is one common bond, the FMJ car lines. So what if anything constructive can come from the controversial opinions that will only bring division and animus when political parties and governments are discussed. People already avoid some web sites due to this. This is a nice lil friendly community, why fXXk it up? But whatever, have at it, go balls deep and push some away. Seems to be the current trend.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
In addition to what m body coupe said, you know there's problems when something that's made in Canada costs several times more to buy here then it does in the U.S.

My biggest issue is things that say manufactured by or manufactured for.
I care more about where something is actually made.
For somethings there's no way around made in China. I have something I bought off Amazon coming from there and fingers crossed it actually comes. So far I've never had a problem. I've had more problems from North American sellers listing everything possible then delaying when they don't actually have it in stock. But if ebay and Amazon are going to allow Chinese sellers they should extend the grace period when you know there going to be shipping delays.

Back