The "Canadian Y-pipe"

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There has been some discussion about what the “Canadian Y-pipe” is, so I wanted to illustrate the differences.

The “Canadian Y-pipe” is more of an early 80’s M-body item than anything else – but looks a lot like non-California F-body or early M-body ('70's) cars (single cat system).

Most of all FMJ body vehicles have at least one catalytic converter on it (there are some out there without any – but not many)

In about ‘82 (or thereabouts) most made for US market FMJ’s came with a three catalytic system, two of which are on the Y-pipe, as seen below.
I had to cut the flanges off of this one because the bolts had rusted and rounded off. It is from an ’84 Gran Fury police car (and looks identical to the one on my ’86 5th Ave),
20161031_094830.jpg

The top two black arrows are the two pre-catalysts (still a catalytic converter) and lower black arrow is where the main cat would go, in this case already cut off. The white arrow is where the exhaust bolts to the transmission. The cats weigh more and this is to give extra support (not a bad idea for those using single exhaust).

This one is from a ’80 Aspen station wagon, 318 2 bbl. The pull a part I got it from had already cut off the catalytic converter off of it. I have plans on installing it and the tailpipe from same car, onto my ’86 5th Ave, getting rid of all three cats in the process (I live in Oklahoma, so I can do that).
20161031_094933.jpg

For those with a later M-body and can still find a Canadian Y-pipe – this is close to what it will look like.

Below is a big tube Y-pipe I had made up years ago. 2¼” down pipes and 2½” combined pipe – that should fit a small block FMJ using stock exhaust manifolds. I doubt I will use this on either of my big block projects.
20161031_095119.jpg

If someone is interested in this and willing to pay extra for the freight – send me a PM.

Note: I understand the purpose of the pre-cats, but I don’t like ‘em. They make it hard to change the starter, hard to change engine oil and hard to access the engine mounts. Also (in my opinion – no facts to back this up) I feel the heat from them burns out/up the seals on steering gear – causing them to leak faster than they should.

BudW

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Walker 40430
I run everything through a Y pipe and straight back to the muffler, no cats.
Pipes are tough to find in the USA, but I can get them in Canada.
40430.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
One other option is to have a shop with a pipe bender make one up.

When I was a Ford tech ('86-'07) at a now defunct (in 2007) Ford dealer, we had a pipe bender and frequently did custom exhausts. Granted it was a compression bender vs the much better mandrel bender but you can't have everything.

If you really want to dig in deep, and have the equipment, get some mandrel U-bends and straight pipe. A miter saw with a metal cutting blade, a protractor to figure out angles, a MIG welder and LOTS of patience is required though.

Back