The current ongoing Aspen project

Aspen500

Reaction score
Have had a wideband A/F gauge in the car since last spring (best money I ever spent, btw), sitting in the ashtray mostly. Mounted it in a panel under the dash but had a "better" idea. Has to be a way to remote mount the segmented LED's and keep the gauge electronics hidden. The idea is to put the display in the spot where the "CHECK EGR" and "OXYGEN SENSOR" warning lights are in the cluster.

So far, got the jumper wires soldered to the original gauge circuit board. Haven't quite come up with the other end yet though. Got a couple ideas floating around in my head, we'll see if any of them will work. If I was more of an electronics geek, could have used fewer wires by combining the common ones to the 3 LED's (power, ground, etc). Tried mapping it all out but kept confusing myself (big surprise:sign10:) so,,,,,,30 separate wires it is.

Got the lens part mocked up in a spare cluster and it turned out not so bad. Looks sort of OEM. Took some careful work with an X-ACTO knife and one of the A/F gauge lens masks, along with a little super glue. In this pic it isn't glued up yet. Since then, I've got the A/F RATIO call out straight in the opening.

This idea HAS to work. Too late to turn back now pretty much. Suppose if it doesn't work out I can still unsolder all the wires and solder the new LED's back into the board. Have to wait until my eyes are unbugged out, lol. Even with a magnifier, it's obvious my eyes aren't 25 years old anymore.:icon_cry:

If anyone knows more about this stuff then I do, open to ideas on hooking the wires to the (7 segment) LED's. I was hoping to find "plug ins" but only came up with ones for IC's and the pin spacing is all wrong. Plus, now that our last Radio Shack turned into a dark vacant space with signs that say "STORE CLOSED" last month,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,can't go over and see the stuff in person anymore either.

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

Last edited:
Back