The FMJ Weather Channel

Aspen500

Reaction score
So far the predicted wind, isn't. Still dead calm and hope it stays that way! Can't wait for later this week. It's going to feel like summer after the past couple weeks. 30 degrees, break out the shorts :) Actually, upper 20's for highs is about the normal for this time of year, not the crap we have been getting.
dec 18 2016.jpg

Justwondering

Reaction score
We bottomed out at 16 F with the windchill it was -3 F.

So at 10:30 pm last night my brother texts me and asks if I'll go down and check his house (near my dad's). He didn't completely winterize it and is worried about water leaks. Bleh.

Told him it was too late for that, I'd go down today and shut off the water and turn up the heat if needed. So fingers crossed that it made it through the night with no massive problems.

And dang it, I planned everything to be done so I would not have to get out today. Me in my bright red, insulated goretex is one scary sight fumbling around in this cold weather. Just ask the goats after I go out and chop ice in the water trough. lol
Just hope the truck starts with no problems.

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Woke up to more fluffy white stuff falling from the sky. 8-12 inches expected before it stops. Temps in the mid to high 20`s. This is the banana belt. It`s not supposed to be cold and snowy here. It normally just rains and I`m O.K. with that. AND it`s not even winter yet.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Three more days until winter...............
-14 at sunrise, -9 at noon, ick. At least it's clear, the sun is bright (can you say snow blindness?) and there's no wind. Strong winds were predicted but nothing yet, and I hope it stays that way. Down to -20 tonight but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the "warm" temps are only a couple days away. When I say "warm", I mean normal for this time of year which is mid 20's to low 30's.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Weather - Advisory from 2016-12-25 4:33:34 AM to 2016-12-25 12:33:34 PM
special weather statement in effect A brief period of freezing rain is possible early Monday morning as a warm front approaches. Travel may be affected, however, temperatures will rise rapidly with strong southeasterly winds across the regions and there will be a transition to widespread rain through the middle of the morning. The rain will end late in the day. Freezing rain warnings may be needed as the event approaches.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I've been getting off work at 1:30, so 'if' there is sun, I can get to enjoy it.
Lot better than going into work in the dark and driving home in the dark.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Sun? What's that? :D I work 7:30 to 4:30 so it's dark when I get there and dark when I leave. Also it's overcast more often than not which makes it even worse. Sunrise is 7:36am and sunset is 4:17pm (at least today anyways). Good news is the daylight is getting longer now, slowly.
High in the mid 30's today with rain/sleet/freezing rain. Right now it's sort of a freezing mist type thing. Can't see it, but you can feel it.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Christmas day was totally awesome.
High was 78, light clouds, brief wind in the late afternoon....

For the next three days we have high 60s with overnight lows in the 50's/40s --
I can do concrete for three days and maybe get some wrenching done before doctor appointment on Thursday.

Most excellent end (weatherwise) to 2016.

Aspen500

Reaction score
We ended up with 1.8" of rain last night. Rain on Christmas,,,,,,,,,odd.
Temp went up all night and made it to 40 late morning with bright sunshine (but very annoying wind) until the clouds moved in and now the temp is headed down towards the 20's :(
Since the ground got covered with a blanket of snow before it got really cold a month ago, it's still not frozen so all that rain didn't cause too much of a problem. Best part is with the above freezing temp and all that rain, the snow cover is about half what it was after the 4-5" of new stuff Friday and into Saturday added to the existing snow pack. We had a white Christmas, it can all melt now:cool: It won't of course but if it did, I'd be totally fine with that:D
Wind advisory for 25-50 mph this afternoon but so far nothing quite that strong.

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Not a white Christmas but definately is a white boxing day. Almost all the snow melted over the last few days and now its all on its way back. 8-12 inches expected today. Only about 2 inches on the ground so far but still coming down.

Justwondering

Reaction score
IMG_6517.jpg
Was a pretty day today, I drained the oil from the jeep late this afternoon after I had
IMG_6518.jpg

added another 4 loads of cement and about a 12 to 18 inches of vertical height to the wall. Was a beautiful, warm, sunny, no breeze kinda day.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Justwondering .. are those wood logs you're setting in cement? or motar mix? are you using wall ties to keep things planted to the wall? .... and if they are logs .. won't humidity and re-drying cause cracking and eventual failure?? Sorry about all the questions .. I just never seen that type of work before. Looks really nice tho.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Took kids down to Waco TX on Monday. Kids are going with friends down to Corpus Christi, TX for the week – so wife and I have no kids for the week (yea)!

Left Oklahoma City at 55’ (all in F), and arrived in Waco at 83’. In the ‘80’s on day after Christmas – WOW.

Drove back home and was greeted with 44’ and dropping (which is more like it).

Aspen500

Reaction score
All we had were some flurries today and just plain friggin' cold. Not sure it ever got out of the teens. The NW wind wasn't really necessary, IMO.:D Back to 30-32 tomorrow though(!)

Justwondering

Reaction score
Justwondering .. are those wood logs you're setting in cement? or motar mix? are you using wall ties to keep things planted to the wall? .... and if they are logs .. won't humidity and re-drying cause cracking and eventual failure?? Sorry about all the questions .. I just never seen that type of work before. Looks really nice tho.

Thanks for the compliment! The construction technique is called cordwood.
The logs are set in Mortar mix (3 cement, 2 lime, 9 sand, 5 to 9 damp sawdust, water)
We are using wall ties on these walls. They are 'half' walls using only 6 inch logs set in mortar with insulation behind it. The tyvek behind it is covering the sheathing on the backside of the mud room/wash room/shower/bathroom. So there are 6 inch studs behind the sheathing with R30 in the walls.

The other corner of that side of the house has 18 inch walls (6 inches of mortar/6 inch gap filled with insulation -- dry sawdust mixed with boric acid/and 6 inches of mortar). There is no need to tie the walls since the full length of cordwood is used.
The wood was cut, bark removed, and it set up under tarps to dry until we had the foundation complete and the i-beams/posts in place. So wood is dry.
Humidity is only an issue if water streams across the wood for great length of time. We have 12 foot overhangs (veranda over 75% of the walls. The other 25% will have a 18 inch overhang == unless I come up with enough month to extend the veranda all the way around. Means rain doesn't pound the wood.

Logs do check and crack. If the checks are too large, I go ahead and split the wood. If things shift or crack after installation, I use permachink or something similar to block the air flow through the checks.

We live in a rural area and wanted a log house; however, not one prone for burning up in a fire. Fire requires 3 things --1. air, 2. fuel, 3. heat source. The butt end of a log is very dense, compared to the side of the log. Takes a sustained heat source a very long time to get the log end to burn-- not likely in a fire. Not enough air and fuel mixing.
If it does catch on fire, it will burn until it hits the mortar where it loses its fuel. Still has the air, still has the heat source, but no fuel.

Our land has plenty of western red cedar so the expense was sweat equity and chain saw fuel/chains. Time for curing the wood. Now sweat equity and some sand/cement/sawdust/lime. Takes a lot of patience.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Very informative ... like all your posts ... and a very interesting build, and wow .. a lot of work involved, thanks .. my limited experience has been with bricks and blocks and it's been 30 yrs. since I built this house, when I was done .. I was physically and mentally done (mostly b/c I was dx-ed TD1 before finishing) ......... sure hope you're getting help on this.
On another subject .. after a warm and rainy yesterday .. it got to more seasonal temps .. about freezing during the day and just below at night.

Aspen500

Reaction score
At least 95% of the streets, parking lots and driveways were bare and dry of snow and/or ice so of course,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it just HAD to drop 3" of snow last night to slop everything up again. Typical..............................

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Forecast this morning said possibility of a flurry. @ inches on the ground now and 2-3 more on the way. Somebody at the weather network must of looked out the window and changed their minds on the possible part.

Aspen500

Reaction score
LOL, we had 4" of "possible flurries" a couple weeks ago. If that was flurries, really hate to see what they mean by heavy snow:eek:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Here we go again................Snow, then sleet, then rain, followed by "a wintery mix" tomorrow into Tuesday. After that we somehow get transported through a space warp above the arctic circle once again.:( High of 3? Seriously? :confused:
01.01.17.jpg

Back