The new Fifth Ave. front end

lowbudget

Reaction score
I should be wrapping up the front end on the Fifth today. What a pain.

One washer was welded on the end of the pivot bar. I bent the control arm trying to get the pivot bar out. I quick call to my buddy and he says he has 2 of them. I drive 30 miles to his salvage yard and searched for an hour without any luck. We found the rest of the front assembly.

So we were getting ready to lift a Gran Fury up and get busy when he looks at me and says " you do know there is one on the Aspen parts car I brought over to you." So I drive back home and find that is where my room mate decided to water. I pull the upper control arm and all is good.

I drilled holes in the rubber bushing and pulled it out in pieces. Then I welded a washer to the flange of the bushing shell and pressed the bushing shell out. Pressed the new ones in and installed it, the ball joint, pitman arm, bigger tie rods.

I went to pull the lower control arm and to my surprise the bushing looks new. So it just got a new ball joint. So the drivers side is done.

I pull the passenger side upper control arm and it has a washer welded on the pivot bar. I pull out my parts book to make sure it wasn't factory. I start cutting and get it off, get the rubbers out and I will be welding the washers on this morning. Then it's just reassembly.

I'm thinking I'm going to leave it up on the jack stands and do the torsion bar/sway bar rubbers when I get back in 28 days as they look pretty rough. I already have the torsion bars backed off and the K member isolators ready to go in.

Well I best get busy......sorry for the long rant.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
Those center bushings are a real pain on the torsion bars. You need a special drill bit to separate them. Took me forever to finally pull them apart. I ended up buying the big mounting plates from firm feel.

Back