Time Warp

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Sounds like we have the exact same cures! Over the past few days, I found some of the very first model cars I built back in the early 70s, and ordered them (ebay). Wow, talk about simpler times and bringing back memories. I hadn't seen a couple of those for many many years. The ones I just got are unbuilt, so when my son's old enough, which isn't that far off, we'll build them together so he can have that simple pleasure of having patience to assemble some model cars.

I remember looking at all those things in the catalogs for hours on end. Especially the subjects of your third picture!

You and I must be close to the same age....
Those underwear sections were a fascinating new frontier to a kid.

Cords i remember them they collected ice n snow very well ,by the time i would get home from school the legs would be like 2x4s rock hard and matched well with the velour shirts i had sexy time -i had no girlfriends as hard as it is to believe

Man....I remember the block ice pant legs.....

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Went to my barber today....
Amazing old Italian guy....been at the same location since 1964. Talk about an old school haircut. Still uses a straight razor for trimming the sides....and plays non stop old Italian music....

Here's the man in action....

20150210_172257.jpg

20150210_172257.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Any of you old bastards like me remember shopping in the malls in the 70's and hearing the cheesy muzak versions of "today's popular hits? Ever wonder what that music was on?

A 16 rpm record.

https://youtu.be/qWb-YnJ2UnM

Brings it all back.
Those haunting musical memories.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
The K Mart stores used to have twin 7'' reel to reel decks at their service desk that ran at that ridiculous slow speed, it was like 1 1/8, and they were bidirectional machines. So they would play one entire side of the tape going forward, then switch to track two, and play in reverse When machine one would reach the end of its play cycles, machine two would start, while machine 1 reset, and rewound the tape.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
There is a local hospital that has built this modern enclosed breezeway from its garage to the main hospital. It is a lovely job of construction, and very modern. As soon as you walk into it you are greeting with the sounds of high fidelity elevator music, just like from the Captain's video. The first time I heard it, I broke out laughing out loud, because it is so out of place in a modern building. Plus it is not background listening level. it is really loud.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The K Mart stores used to have twin 7'' reel to reel decks at their service desk that ran at that ridiculous slow speed, it was like 1 1/8, and they were bidirectional machines. So they would play one entire side of the tape going forward, then switch to track two, and play in reverse When machine one would reach the end of its play cycles, machine two would start, while machine 1 reset, and rewound the tape.

Just to be a technical stickler....the reel to reels ran at 1 7/8" per second and were mono. Meaning since there's 4 tracks on the tape it would play through playing only one of the four tracks, then reverse playing track 2 and then do the same for the remaining two tracks. Memory is foggy but I think you got something insane like 12 hours or more on one tape.

There is a local hospital that has built this modern enclosed breezeway from its garage to the main hospital. It is a lovely job of construction, and very modern. As soon as you walk into it you are greeting with the sounds of high fidelity elevator music, just like from the Captain's video. The first time I heard it, I broke out laughing out loud, because it is so out of place in a modern building. Plus it is not background listening level. it is really loud.

That's terrifying.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Just to be a technical stickler....the reel to reels ran at 1 7/8" per second and were mono. Meaning since there's 4 tracks on the tape it would play through playing only one of the four tracks, then reverse playing track 2 and then do the same for the remaining two tracks. Memory is foggy but I think you got something insane like 12 hours or more on one tape.

1 7/8, I really did not remember; that was why I was guessing. I only had one machine, over the years that even included that speed. I did know they were 4 track mono machines. i failed to explain that clearly, very sorry.

Here is how we used to do the automation thing in the radio world.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoolf2GU4SpGg3c4iDN7Pl40S0-4SGXnusDyPsS4k_UMVc-rEc.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
1 7/8, I really did not remember; that was why I was guessing. I only had one machine, over the years that even included that speed. I did know they were 4 track mono machines. i failed to explain that clearly, very sorry.

Here is how we used to do the automation thing in the radio world.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoolf2GU4SpGg3c4iDN7Pl40S0-4SGXnusDyPsS4k_UMVc-rEc.jpg

Nice machine!
Do you know what make that is?
I've worked with many a Studer and I own a Revox and a Teac 1/2" 8 track.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
We never had that type of automation where I was. I only read about it. So I can not say who made this equipment.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Back in 1980-1984 when I was in high school (class of '82) and then the local technical college, I worked in a grocery store. They had some sort of machine that played music. Far as I know it was like a big 8-track or something(?) It played the same 15 or 20 songs (no idea how many really) over and over and over and over for the 4 years I worked there. Drove me insane! It wasn't Musak though. To this day when I hear "Mother and Child Reunion" by Simon and Garfunkle I get this twitch in my left eye and a voice that says "kill, kill, kill" lol.

Soon as the store closed for the night, off went that horrible machine and we'd tape the key down on one of the P.A. mic's and set it in front of the radio back in the deli dept. while we were sweeping, mopping, covering the produce, and all the other stuff we had to do before going home for the night. That was MUCH better!

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Back in 1980-1984 when I was in high school (class of '82) and then the local technical college, I worked in a grocery store. They had some sort of machine that played music. Far as I know it was like a big 8-track or something(?) It played the same 15 or 20 songs (no idea how many really) over and over and over and over for the 4 years I worked there. Drove me insane! It wasn't Musak though. To this day when I hear "Mother and Child Reunion" by Simon and Garfunkle I get this twitch in my left eye and a voice that says "kill, kill, kill" lol.

Soon as the store closed for the night, off went that horrible machine and we'd tape the key down on one of the P.A. mic's and set it in front of the radio back in the deli dept. while we were sweeping, mopping, covering the produce, and all the other stuff we had to do before going home for the night. That was MUCH better!

LMAO!
I feel your pain.
It quite easily could have been this.

https://youtu.be/r6yOShJ6j8k

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
LMAO!
I feel your pain.
It quite easily could have been this.

https://youtu.be/r6yOShJ6j8k

That's exactly what it looked like. Never saw it open but the front looked just like that unit.

I'd have one of those Seeburg machines just because it looks cool! Love the '50's styling of things like that, refrigerators, ranges, etc.... New appliances are plain and boring IMO. Of course that's from a guy with aqua marine green and ivory kitchen cabinets. Unfortunately my 'fridge looks out of place being a 1970's avocado green Kenmore, lol. Still works great so can't justify the cost of replacing it with something that matches better.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
That's exactly what it looked like. Never saw it open but the front looked just like that unit.

I'd have one of those Seeburg machines just because it looks cool! Love the '50's styling of things like that, refrigerators, ranges, etc.... New appliances are plain and boring IMO. Of course that's from a guy with aqua marine green and ivory kitchen cabinets. Unfortunately my 'fridge looks out of place being a 1970's avocado green Kenmore, lol. Still works great so can't justify the cost of replacing it with something that matches better.

Ah......so apparently they only had one tape.

I'd love one of those old Seeburg units.
I found one on epay going for $2100!!!
Yikes. Guess I'll stick with my hi fi's.

https://youtu.be/J59iIH1bGis

Back