Time Warp

alf44

Reaction score
palallel parking a 78 lincoln town car is fun when most spots are set up for the tiny cars - and us people try to park our land barges in them:BangHead:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
palallel parking a 78 lincoln town car is fun when most spots are set up for the tiny cars - and us people try to park our land barges in them:BangHead:

They've definitely made spots smaller.
In the paid parking lots even my Fifth is a tight squeeze.

ramenth

Reaction score
When Sarah and I first got married we rented a small second story apartment on Franklin St - the main drag going through Watkins. I usually parked the '54 on the street below the apartment.

Her parents did a pass through visit on their way through to the New England States to view the foliage and some of the historical sites. They were driving a '95 (?) LeSabre and her father parked in front of me. Well, he was in a hurry to get the car out of the parking spot and backed into the '54. Should have heard the rant he went on when the plastic on the LeSabre hit the big chrome bumper on the '54. Should have heard me laughing when I just simply told him he should have been watching where he was backing.

Oh, and Ed, one of the reasons I'm wanting to get the '54 up and moving for next summer is to transport my very special delivery around. ;)

ramenth

Reaction score
By the way, for ya'll's viewing pleasure:

107.jpg

107.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
With "no pump" (a manual steering box) your ratio is 24:1. Power steering gears are 14:1. So yeah, without the assist it's a bear... no leverage.

I borrowed a guy's olds alero with a shot ps pump.
It would only work if you stomped the gas....parking was a bit of a drag....

With the ratio you said without assist on our cars I can see why it's a fight.
Thanks for that info by the way.....I didn't know that. :icon_thumleft:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Okay....you want a time warp?
I just turned 50....this restaurant is at the end of the street I grew up on.
I used to go to this place almost everyday and hang with my buddies and have fries and gravy and listen to tunes on the booth jukeboxes.
I went to this place from roughly age 7-15.
Decided to pop in for breakfast just for laughs to reminisce...
This place is a time warp.....a couple of small things have changed but almost everything is the same as it was 40 years ago......blew my freakin' mind!

Just for laughs.....a pic of my Fifth parked beside it.

2014-09-21 09.47.20-1.jpg

The counter....almost identical except for the different colors on the stools.

2014-09-21 09.50.28-1.jpg

2014-09-21 09.47.20-1.jpg

2014-09-21 09.50.28-1.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
This sign has been in this spot since roughly 1972. Maybe longer....

2014-09-21 09.49.39-1.jpg

Jukeboxes are still there.....for display only.
2014-09-21 09.50.06-1.jpg

Obviously they shut these down right after I stopped going there when I was around 16 judging by the tunes on the jukebox.

2014-09-21 10.03.01-1.jpg

All in all.....a wild little trip back....... :eek:ccasion14:

2014-09-21 09.49.39-1.jpg

2014-09-21 09.50.06-1.jpg

2014-09-21 10.03.01-1.jpg

Last edited:

72Dodge

Reaction score
I love seeing diners or other places like that that haven't changed in decades. It makes me sad that eventually, due to either excessive wear or too many people getting the remodeling bug, those places will all be gone. They're good as nearly gone now. There's a few places in the Dells (Wisconsin Dells) that haven't changed much, but even there, most of it is totally different than when I was a kid. Places like that remind me of simpler times, and I'd love to share them with my son if there are any around in a decade or so when he might start to appreciate them.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I love seeing diners or other places like that that haven't changed in decades. It makes me sad that eventually, due to either excessive wear or too many people getting the remodeling bug, those places will all be gone. They're good as nearly gone now. There's a few places in the Dells (Wisconsin Dells) that haven't changed much, but even there, most of it is totally different than when I was a kid. Places like that remind me of simpler times, and I'd love to share them with my son if there are any around in a decade or so when he might start to appreciate them.

In the new age of corporate food it was truly amazing to walk into this place and see it still almost the way it was. It was so close that the little details that were missing were just that.....little. You are correct Sir, the old familiar places are few and far between. I actually feel lucky that I got the opportunity to pop back in time....even if it was only for a half an hour.

I might go back before they trash that last bit of history.
They seem to like doing that here....

Hopefully you find that last holdout to share with your son.
If not....shoot up here and you can borrow mine.
Burgers are on me.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Here's another time warp.....

The weather is getting very cold up here in the great white north which got me thinking about Christmas........yeah I know I know....but it IS coming.
Anyway my mind started drifting (drink as much beer as I have and yours will too) to childhood memories about of all things...the Sears Wish Book.
Remember that? Man.....I used to wait by the door for that thing to show up.
A kids cornucopia of potential delights to ask Santa for.

1970_Sears_Wish_Book_001.jpg

Page after page of fascinating new things....
And anything you could think of was in there for a kid.

The latest cool bikes....

SearsWishbook_1971_P227-1.jpg

Eye candy for the up and coming pervert just hitting puberty.
Spent a lot of time sneaking peeks at the undergarment section.

1970_Sears_Wish_Book_142.jpg

The latest in high technology...

320556830_567c836895.jpg

And of course the latest in the coolest new fashions....

Courduroy.jpg

Yep....it was all there.
Not even sure if they still send out the wish book.
But in my minds eye I remember this one and the new one could never match the feast of delights in the one I know from my youth.

Just thought I'd share......

1970_Sears_Wish_Book_001.jpg

SearsWishbook_1971_P227-1.jpg

1970_Sears_Wish_Book_142.jpg

320556830_567c836895.jpg

Courduroy.jpg

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
You are thinking of the good ole days aren't you. Reminding you of your childhood?

:binkybaby:

I am....
I guess considering how screwed up things are now I drift back to the simpler times once in a while......or I crank back a pile of beers.

Both seem to work.

72Dodge

Reaction score
Sounds like we have the exact same cures! Over the past few days, I found some of the very first model cars I built back in the early 70s, and ordered them (ebay). Wow, talk about simpler times and bringing back memories. I hadn't seen a couple of those for many many years. The ones I just got are unbuilt, so when my son's old enough, which isn't that far off, we'll build them together so he can have that simple pleasure of having patience to assemble some model cars.

I remember looking at all those things in the catalogs for hours on end. Especially the subjects of your third picture!

Superpac Ninja

Reaction score
Cords i remember them they collected ice n snow very well ,by the time i would get home from school the legs would be like 2x4s rock hard and matched well with the velour shirts i had sexy time -i had no girlfriends as hard as it is to believe

Back