Timing Chains?

77 Dragracer

Reaction score
I've been running a double roller JP Performance timing chain in my 408 and after 7 yrs of racing it's time for another chain assembly. What brands do people here like to use?

Brad

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've got a Comp Cams Magnum double roller in my car, no complaints although it's not a drag car. Added bonus, MADE IN USA!

greymouser7

Reaction score
Cloyes?billet?<- some peope on the forum say they stretch... Rollmaster?? SA gear?? are supposed to be good. I keep forgetting the difference between a true roller and a double roller which are the terms that come out

but in addition, get the mopar timing chain tensioner, and use the correct bolt, with the oil-thru hole...

milodon has a gear drive, I think you would run a crank timing sensor if you had to run one of those and high rpm's

Last edited:

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
bump. :)

I am thinking about doing the chain and timing cover gasket/seals on my 88 5th. Is that mopar timing chain tensioner you mentioned small block universal?

Does it replace an inferior stock component? did the stock engines not come with a tensioner? or just a worse one?

Thanks!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
There's no tensioner on a stock 318. The tensioner is a great and almost mandatory addition. I've heard from a couple of folks who swear by them. I'll be putting one on my Fifth when I do the timing chain.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The tensioner replaces the camshaft thrust plate. Bolts on using the same holes. It's a thrust plate and tensioner assy. I just added one to my truck ('96 Dakota) 3.9L to cure the dreaded chain rattle at idle (also replaced the chain and gears obviously)
Mopar didn't put any kind of tensioner on until 1997 and then it was only on the 3.9L (I think). However, it retro fits.

So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,seeing as the Magnum engines are basically the same (short block wise) as LA engines, it should work on those as well. One thing, with the tensioner it's a B*TCH getting the chain and cam gear on, lol!

Tensioner looks like the pic. It's Cloyes brand and pretty sure I got it from Rock Auto.

DSCF0001.jpg

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Well then it is $44usd well spent ;).

It would appear a double roller timing chain is only for extreme horsepower machines, or when a WILD cam and valve springs are in play.

Stock-mild can get away with a single roller setup.

lowbudget

Reaction score
I read that Cloyes makes them for MP. 24.99 at Rock Auto. I just did my timing chain. I used a Cloyes double chain, tensioner, replaced all belts, water pump, fuel pump, hoses and put a sleeve on the harmonic dampner for around $150.00 through Rock Auto, I love their clearances. I figured I was right there so I might as well get it done.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
I read that Cloyes makes them for MP. 24.99 at Rock Auto. I just did my timing chain. I used a Cloyes double chain, tensioner, replaced all belts, water pump, fuel pump, hoses and put a sleeve on the harmonic dampner for around $150.00 through Rock Auto, I love their clearances. I figured I was right there so I might as well get it done.

Always a great idea to replace wear-parts if you already have half the front of the engine torn off.

Back