Tips on getting the passenger header in?

Bryan M.

Reaction score
Ok, the header in the Imperial is holding me up. Any ideas on how to get it in there (preferably without dismantling the steering components)?

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Disconnect the motor mount on that side. Put a bottle jack on one of the oil pan bolts and jack up the motor a tad. Do this after jacking up the front of the car so you can feed the header in from the bottom. Wrap the header with some soft cloth and tape it so you don't scratch it up.

Last edited:

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
And make sure you do it on stable ground . Kid across the street from me tried something simular to that . He's not here anymore . Need I say more ?

Bryan M.

Reaction score
Got it. Car is in my garage on a level concrete pad now. Should be able to attempt this soon.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
what kind of headers? most will require you to remove the drag link since it passes through the drivers header.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
You may also need to remove the starter, oil filter, and the braces from the block to the transmission. Raise the car as high as safely possible.

8d5 AHB

Reaction score
Bryan said it was getting below freezing and his joints weren't liking it the other day. That'll throw a kink in the plan

polish aviator

Reaction score
I agree with everything you'all have said,so far.never liked the pass through headers on my car.it looked funny with 3 pipes dangling lower than the oil pan.

Bryan M.

Reaction score
Bryan said it was getting below freezing and his joints weren't liking it the other day. That'll throw a kink in the plan

Exactly the problem...I have enough breaks in both hands that when the temps get low my hands are damn near useless. I'm in gloves under 40*. I will be attempting this over the weekend, hopefully I make some headway.

Back