Tire size on j body

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I couldn't believe it, but i just fit a 275/40/17 on the front of Modoba with no clearances issues anywhere. wheels are 17x9 alcoa forged. Could fit 285s but rim not wide enough for that. Enough room on the rears to fit 295 and just maybe 305.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
from the mounting surface of the wheel to the back edge of the wheel is 5 5/8"

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Don't worry y'all, I still have my original 5 on 5's. Didn't realize just how big the wheel arches are... could have went 18" no problem.
170325_0001.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Those wheels look great, nice pattern.

I did a mock up of an old set of Weld Racing forged billet wheels in 17" size, and they looked really good with 255/45-17 tires. and they really weren't much bigger than the factory sized 15" rim with 205/75-15 tires.

This is the facotory wheels I have on there now:

IMG_0014.JPG

This is the Weld wheel just put in front of the factory wheel just to see:

IMG_0016.JPG

The Weld whee looks much bigger due to the wheel being closer to the camera. In reality, there is less than 1" in height difference between the two, and that doesn't even take into consideration that the original wheels need a little bit more air pressure, and they are supporting the weight of the car.

I still need to get wheel adapters because the bolt circle on the Weld wheels is 4 X 108mm. I also need to figure out the wheel adapter thickness, as they have a 5.5" back spacing, and I think it would be best to get it to anywhere between 4-4.5".

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
The Welds are 17" x 8" or 8.5". Backspacing is measured at 5.5". I am unsure if I need to reduce the b.s. to 4", 4.25", or 4.5". In any case I need to get an adapter to address the bolt circle issue, so the only thing left if to figure out what thickness the adapter needs to be.

Could also be that I am over thinking this, but I don't want to get it wrong and have suspension geometry issues, or interference with springs/frame members. There will be far more than enough brake clearance, even when I get the 11.75" rotors installied in the front.

Back