to iso clamp or not to iso clmp?

picklesgarage

Reaction score
so I know I have a problem with my iso clamps. cant seem to find replacements. seems like there is equal split as to people in favor of replace bushing and keep iso clamps and those who say to switch over to b body shock plates. I thought I read here that going to the b body style is going to drop the rear a bit which I don't really want right now. I know there is better selection with rear shocks not using the iso set up. except the rattle right now in the rear from I think the shocks I enjoy the ride. I should really replace the springs but that's not really in the budget at the moment. I do plan to swap to an 8.25 but again budget. so my question is bang for buck and ease and I better to go to the b body shock plates or does someone have some iso mounts or at least the proper diamentions so I can get some made up?
oh almost forgot, 86 5th ave. currently stock, planes to go 8.25 and 4bbl. looking at mostly street use maybe better handling at some point
thanks

0815201114.jpg

SuicideRider

Reaction score
The b-body shock plates will RAISE the rear of the car about half an inch. Not lower it. And give more stability to the rear since the rubber bits are gone.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Have you checked with Jim? I know, silly question. I assume you have a 7.25" so suppose those are tougher to come by.

If you keep the ISO, replacing the rubber with poly insulators helps a lot. Not ideal but still gives a little isolation. Replacement springs should have a round front spring eye, which will help a lot also. I've got poly insulators with the ISO set up (and round spring eyes) and haven't noticed any adverse effects. No wheel hop and the handling isn't bad, for a nose heavy BB F-body. I like them (JMO), others hate the ISO spring.

DCAspen

Reaction score
1980-89 rearends 7 1/4 or 8 1/4 all have 3" diameter tubes so all the parts interchange

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yeah, I meant deconstructor Jim.
Pretty sure that's where I got my spring pads from, through Summit. It was 15 years ago so I can't be 100% sure. Thee's also these from Energy. Not sure why the ribbed sides vs smooth though.
Energy Suspension Leaf Spring Pads 5.6105G

The 5-6106 says est ship date 09.23.20 though but the 5-6105g says 08.18.20 but also out of stock at Summit. Friggin' Covid................................:(

They've also got a red version (blech) of the smooth ones (only 1 kit in stock) and I wonder about the price, it's like $18 vs $63 and $90 for the black ones. Weird.

picklesgarage

Reaction score
so ordered a set of clamps from Jim and a set of 5.6106R off ebay. not that i want red but being almost $20 cheaper then the black and the i should have them by 8/24 instead of next month sometime i can live with it if they work.
now i just need to find u bolts and shocks

picklesgarage

Reaction score
anyone with recommendations on where to get u bolts? the closest I can find are
7/16x6 3/4x3 1/16. my understanding is the axle is a 3 inch diameter.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I've always gotten U bolts from local spring or truck shops and brought the old ones to compare. If they didn't have them in stock they made then while I waited which was pretty neat to see.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
If you strike out that way they're a pretty standard size for mopars. Mancini and a bunch of other places have them.

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
U-bolt: Mopar part# 3845264, 4 3/8" length, 7/16 - 20 thd.

The benefit with these ones are the fact that they have the proper flattened and serrated U in the U-bolt...so that will not crimp your axle housing.

volare 77

Reaction score
U-bolt: Mopar part# 3845264, 4 3/8" length, 7/16 - 20 thd.

The benefit with these ones are the fact that they have the proper flattened and serrated U in the U-bolt...so that will not crimp your axle housing.
Tough to find them. Long been discontinued.

Back