To stay white or go black....black out treatment that is...

Grill blackout Treament?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Mopar did the grill blackout treatment on most of the cars...I had a heck of a time getting that rough crap off..I also found some on the underside of the hood...they sprayed it with the hood closed and it got all over..now that I have it all painted white again...I am not sure if I will go to all the trouble of masking off my fresh paint only to spray black on top of it...

I'll be back with some pics...here ya go with some of them..

IMG00533-20110118-2115.jpg

IMG00530-20110117-2209.jpg

and all white..I will take a better pic of the all white tomorrow...

IMG00606-20110129-1255.jpg

ramenth

Reaction score
In my opinion, go black out. Too much body color behind the grille draws the eye away from the rest of the car. The black out also helps the eye catch the detail on the grille.

77RTNJ

Reaction score
Definitely black out behind the grille. If you want to do as the factory they used either a flat or satin black and sprayed it from under the car from a guy in the pit. That is how you got the effect that was on the car originally, where it did not cover the whole front but got on your hood. The undercoating you had on there was done afterwards, that is not factory. That is another thing I learned from the tech section of Mopar Action.

Kevin

Wylde1

Reaction score
Black IS beautiful, baby! :wave:

Wylde1.

WildCat

Reaction score
That is one of the things about painting a car, it looks so damn good

BUT IN MY OPINION, it looks like crap to have light body color showing in behind the grill

Just look at Randy's car from Mopar Muscle, great looking little valiant, but would look much better with black out behind the grill

THAT IS MY OPINION, (several others have commented about Randy's car), Mine isn't black it is actually the same blue as the stripe on the car, as well as all the other trim that would have been blacked out

Black out DEFINDS THE GRILL

It is your car, do what you want, i will not tell you but whenever I see a car like that I say "That looks like CRAP"

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
imo im glad the po's of my car when they had the car painted had the underside of the hood blacked and behind the grille the rest was black im glad they didnt do it all red. i did put clear over there black tho, black is the way to go is what im saying.

A38Valiant

Reaction score
When I see a Mopar WITHOUT the blackout treatment behind the grille, my first thoughts are "That's F'ing disgusting!!!" followed by "What F'ing fly-by-night whole-in-the-wall Chevy-building shop painted that thing?? They didn't even finish the job!!"
Jus' my opinion.

D Dodge

Reaction score
When I see a Mopar WITHOUT the blackout treatment behind the grille, my first thoughts are "That's F'ing disgusting!!!" followed by "What F'ing fly-by-night whole-in-the-wall Chevy-building shop painted that thing?? They didn't even finish the job!!"
Jus' my opinion.
I guess that answers your question.

res1vw21

Reaction score
light color cars get black out and dark cars generally did not. Why would you do it any other way?

Adam is right the trim black out works nicely

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
light color cars get black out and dark cars generally did not. Why would you do it any other way?

Adam is right the trim black out works nicely
Ross if you only knew how much time and effort it took me to get it back to factory white..I just have a hard time wanting to spray black over such good looking white...that's it in a nutshell..Eric

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
And the color is.....

I did all the taping today and then looked back at how the factory did it...I tried to mimick the way they did...I did want to paint the entire front black...

IMG00507-20110408-1651.jpg

IMG00505-20110408-1650.jpg

IMG00504-20110408-1650.jpg

D Dodge

Reaction score
So you bit the bullet and went ahead and did it. You won't be sorry, though. It will look good that way.

Back