Too far gone? 76 Aspen Coupe

Camtron

Reaction score
Part car to save the long roof; unless you’re feeling optimistic about putting them both back on the road…then you should own them both :)

LSM360

Reaction score
If it were me I'd definitely be saving it. V8, a/c, heck yes. The '76 and '77 had rust issues for sure, then they got better as Chrysler addressed it.

I like it!

MY3033

Reaction score
Was able to mess around with it a bit today. Peeled all the vinyl off, discovered the roof is solid except for the one hole I already knew about. Also heard it run for more than just a few seconds, just filled the bowl with fuel and got it to light off. Definitely needs a tune up, runs on maybe 4 cylinders (what do you expect sitting for 30 years? Lol). Was able to verify everything electrical on the car functions, even the glove box light and map light! I also found the trim tag laying in the glove box. Anyone willing to decode it?
Made attempts to get the truck open, but the lock cylinder doesn’t want to move, so I separated it down good and am going to try again in the morning.
I have made the decision to try and save this car. Gonna do it low buck, but most of the mechanical bits I need I should have already. I think before I do anything else, i need to deep cheep the interior, I’m sure you can imagine how it smells… yuck….
Hopefully this 318 does better than the last one I had, I bought a truck, primed the oil system and topped off all fluids and on the first drive around the block it spun a main bearing. So I hope it goes much better this time around.
FB378956-F94C-47FD-9905-5796BDF2B50A.jpeg
D1FD14BA-873F-49B5-99B3-A505A767A9EA.jpeg
E3CFDC5A-1CF4-4680-9BEB-030F4462DEFA.jpeg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
think before I do anything else, i need to deep cheep the interior, I’m sure you can imagine how it smells… yuck….
You could always yank the interior and take the carpet to a local laundromat and chuck it in a washer. Or your own washing machine if you're feeling lucky. The factory carpets are pretty thin and light. When I replaced mine I was surprised at how heavy the aftermarket replacement carpet was compared the the original

But Dalton threw a carpet in the wash on Pole Barn Garage...

MY3033

Reaction score
The carpet is very discolored and stained. I intend to replace it. In my experience, you can’t get the rat dripping smell out of it, unless there is some trick I don’t know.

MoparDan

Reaction score
The carpet is very discolored and stained. I intend to replace it. In my experience, you can’t get the rat dripping smell out of it, unless there is some trick I don’t know.
When I was an auto detailer we used to use Purple Power with a scrub bush, then vacume the carpet with a shop vacume

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I know someone who loaded the carpet up with carpet shampoo, laundry detergent or whatever other cleaner he could find, scrubbed it up and pressure washed it to get the smell out of it.

The carpet i got for my Charger had the mouse smell pretty bad and was also pretty dirty. I went over it with an extractor again and again until the water coming out of it was clean. It has a thick foam backing so if it was hosed off it would take forever to dry.

But in your case it looks like ACC makes new carpeting for the coupe so just go new.

armataz

Reaction score
This is my new to me 76 Aspen. Traded some 72-93 dodge truck sheet metal for it. It is a 318 auto. Power steering & brakes, cruise, and a/c. It does run, but haven’t had a break from the nonstop rain lately to get it up on 4 good tires to try and move it. It is stupidly solid on the underside. Floor pan and rails are solid. However, that’s where the clean parts stop. Quarters have a couple spots as does the front fenders, but I went to college for paint and body so doing some patches is easy. The problem are is mainly the c pillar. The half vinyl roof held in moisture and rotted the back of the roof. There are holes there.
I’ve been a Mopar guy my whole life, and everyone has always told me stay away from aspens/volares. Do y’all think this car is worth fixing the roof for a low buck classic cruiser?
I have my eye on a 76 aspen wagon that is CLEAN, but has no drivetrain. Should I use my coupe as a donor and pick up the wagon?

Anyways, thanks for having me!
View attachment 50584View attachment 50586View attachment 50587View attachment 50588View attachment 50589View attachment 50590View attachment 50591View attachment 50592View attachment 50593
yours is better than some I've seen saved, I had a bad roof on a monte carlo landaugh, and I used truck bed liner to re-do the vinyl section tacked down some fiber cloth and painted over it, then did the same to the underside to seal it from further damage.

Back