Torque converter suggestions

Deano

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to purchase a oem/stock lockup torque converter and I'd like to get some suggestions before I stress out and buy one from a parts house. Thought about Precision of New Hampton, but I'm wondering if they have a clever sales pitch and a less that stellar product or they actually are legit.

I have a 2 door '78 LeBaron Medallion with a stock 318, in front of a stock 904 with a lockup converter, and a stock 7 1/4 rearend.

Deano

Reaction score
It's all in my "Lock-up torque converter not locking up" thread.

I don't think I need an aftermarket one. Just an OEM/stock replacement.

Aspen500

Reaction score
The only suggestion I have is, try to find out where the converter is remanufactured. What I mean is, avoid ones made in China (if that's even possible.....).

Camtron

Reaction score
I grabbed a remanned unit from, Florida Torque Converter.
He offers a factory low stall and a high stall (nothing crazy about 2,400rpm) option for 904 w/ lockup. Does his work in house.
They’re like $220ish plus a refundable core deposit that’s $100+.
Have had it in the car since last summer without issue.

He offers custom builds to match your specs and power curve, I didn’t look into that since it’s more than I needed.

Link:Florida Torque Converter

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I grabbed a remanned unit from, Florida Torque Converter.
He offers a factory low stall and a high stall (nothing crazy about 2,400rpm) option for 904 w/ lockup. Does his work in house.
They’re like $220ish plus a refundable core deposit that’s $100+.
Have had it in the car since last summer without issue.

He offers custom builds to match your specs and power curve, I didn’t look into that since it’s more than I needed.

Link:Florida Torque Converter
Book marking that for later

Camtron

Reaction score
Book marking that for later
Want to say his name was, Marcin. Good guy, straight forward.
If I remember correctly, the 12-L is the low stall and the 12-H is the high stall option on his site.
He used to have an Amazon store front that got you around shipping and core charges but it doesn’t seem active anymore; go figure.

LSM360

Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest going with a higher stall on the stock setup. IMO you'll be annoyed with it quite possibly. Stick with factory stall (1800 I believe).

Deano

Reaction score
I ordered a 12L from FTC last night. A bit pricey, but it does have a lifetime warranty so in case anything happens...

Back