Torque Shifting And Speed Testing

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Has anyone ever just put there vehicle on jack stands to test the transmission shifts and or torque between speeds? I need to open the aspen up a little but around here kinda hard to do with all the johnny's around if you know what I mean on the street. So I was thinking of using 4 six ton jacks on the rear end and opening it up and of course chocking the front wheels also. Has been tagged as a antique so cant drive it every day here either. Thank You.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Jack stands?
I wouldn't do it.....
Vibrations, etc.
If that thing ever lost a stand while you were gunning it...... :icon_eek:

Small highway close by?

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
Not around here in the hills. Yeah I was thinking the vibes might cause the jacks to slip too. Was just wondering have only got to 50 mph for top speed I need to see how it does at at least 75 mph. It has sat awhile in my garage and needs some serious road testing. I could always build a strip in my yard. Of course the wife would have a cow and die Lol.

I don't have a built engine but I am seriously considering having it done Dyno tested just for the hell of it. And see how it holds up. Any idea on a basic price for factory standard testing?

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
There's gotta be some kind of small road trip that could incorporate a highway......smaller preferably.
A no/low traffic highway would allow you to take it from zero on up and test the shifts.

City is good too.
If she's shifting at the right spots in city too that's a good thing......every drive.....I feel the shifts.
That's ongoing maintenance too......

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
That's just it. Seems to shift 1 and 2 but 3 I am unsure. Mine is different it is so smooth I cant even feel my shifts at all. Oh around here we have public safety police state troopers and the sheriff and they are every where. It is like a city with all police.

I will just add it to my insurance policy and hit the interstate with it. Even though it is tagged as a antique I am allowed to test it and drive it on weekends. Would be the safest thing to do I suppose.

I had a guy check the transmission said all was good but I have never seen a vehicle to which I could not feel in between shifts.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score

2015-01-22 23.14.43.jpg

2015-01-22 23.14.43.jpg

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
No seriously I can not feel the shifts. It is weird. It is obviously shifting are I would not be able to get to 50 mph but I feel no shifts at all.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Roll down the window and listen to the engine.
Go slow first.
You'll hear the rpm drops.
Try slow and then when you get a chance hammer it and check that out.
It's obviously shifting.....if it wasn't she'd be revving pretty high.

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
I guess I am use to a V-8 even though I have owned a few slant sixes in my life time. I just have never seen a vehicle that I could not feel shift. The other ones I could. Will follow that chart tomorrow and see if I can feel the shifts in between at slow and fast speeds.

Not knocking it. I love my aspen getting closer to showing it off on the roads around here.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Never even thought of that.
I guess the slant shifts are a but smoother.

The Volare is VERY smooth.
The Caravelle? Couldn't tell ya....
Muffler is dead so it's almost open exhaust....lol.
And no cat..... :angry4:

slant6billy

Reaction score
There is definitely some yuotube video of jackstands going wrong with the wheels going fast. Don't recommend it. Also, auto trans needs some type of resistance on the wheels- like a dyno has resistance in the roller. Auto trans is a pump by design. Ever try to pump up a brand new inner tube or raft. You go like mad without any resistance pushing back at you.

BHA43

Reaction score
Another thing. If your rear is open and one wheel is slower the other is faster and you could blow the spyders. For example. if you are stuck in the snow and spinning 1 wheel, if your speedo says 25mph the wheel that is spinning is going 50 mph! Do you have an analog tach you can hook up? you should be able to see the shift when the needle drops.

Back