Torsion bar bushings

Camtron

Reaction score
decided to tear into replacing my torsion bar bushings with the lovely 50 degree weather we got today.
Torsion bars are out of the car and the spot welds are already drilled out to separate the metal housings.
My question: the Poly Bushing, bushing kit comes with frame isolators that are pre split to make install easy as pie. Can I split the bushings that mount to the lower control arm in the same fashion to make install easy or do I need to cut the pin and press the bar out of the bushing housing/assembly?

Duke5A

Reaction score
You bought the replacement bushings separate from the shell? The easiest part of this is getting the old shell off of the bars and that involves removing the pin. If you can somehow get these separate from the bars the hard part is separating the shell to get to the bushing. There is a reason everyone attempts to get their hands on the Moog replacements, so they don't have to deal with this. I hope you weren't planning on getting the car back together tonight.

20140528_231728.jpg

20140528_231824.jpg

20140528_231808.jpg

Camtron

Reaction score
You bought the replacement bushings separate from the shell? The easiest part of this is getting the old shell off of the bars and that involves removing the pin. If you can somehow get these separate from the bars the hard part is separating the shell to get to the bushing. There is a reason everyone attempts to get their hands on the Moog replacements, so they don't have to deal with this. I hope you weren't planning on getting the car back together tonight.

View attachment 39369

View attachment 39370

View attachment 39371
Ok but, my question is, can I slice the new bar end bushings to install them without dealing with pressing the pin...Already sliced the old bushing off with a razor blade and was going to clean the bar with a wire wheel and paint it.

image.jpg

Duke5A

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know. I could never get the shell apart without butchering it beyond I point where I didn't want to reuse it. I have to imagine if they were supposed to be installed by slitting it then it would already have come that way like the pivot bushings.

The two times I did this job I found pairs of the Moog replacements that already had the shell. Someone else will have to chime in.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I would highly recommend not splitting the bushing. Hard to say if it would create a problem. My thought is, if it was split, it could squeeze out of the shell after a while. Cut the head off the rivet and drive it out. The tough part is getting the bushing sleeve off the end of the bar. Forty+ years of corrosion might have it seemingly welded together. On the one bar I overhauled (the other was a new one from the dealer), I took it to work and rigged it up in the press and it still wouldn't budge. Ended up CAREFULLY slitting the inner sleeve to get it apart but I had a complete replacement mount assy. Hopefully you have better luck!

It's been awhile so my memory may be hazy but, even with it off, the bushing still has to fit over the sway bar end link bracket to get it on (yes?) so not sure how that's done.

Camtron

Reaction score
End link bracket is its own piece separate from the torsion bar and the bushing shaft. Looks like I’ll be taking it to work and pressing it apart (have everything soaked in Evaporust and wrapped in Saran Wrap to break the rust up and make things a little easier tomorrow morning)
I want to weld in the holes from drilling out the spot welds anyway, definitely removes a lot of material from the shells drilling them out.
Oh well, now I have to drive my MKZ for a day. Could be worse.
Edit: thanks for the replies. I had heavily weighed the option of slicing the bushing and positioning it so the split would be lined up with the seam where the two shells come together (so the force on the bar end wasn’t directly on the cut) but, as Aspen mentioned, the concern of the bushing walking out was my first thought and I don’t want to waste good Poly Bushings. Johnny had made this set to order and I don’t want to chance them not being available now.

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
Earlier tonight, I sent Johnny Spiva over at Poly Bushing an email about slicing his bushings. Surprised I got a response on a Sunday, great guy and customer service.
Guess I have a decision to make in the morning.

45D68315-F696-45A3-8CE1-BF151ED3A143.jpeg

Aspen500

Reaction score
I still wouldn't do it (JMO).

Like I mentioned, it's been awhile and I couldn't remember the sleeve and sway bar mount were one piece or not. They say the first thing to go is the memory and I can't remember the 2nd thing...:D

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Ive some real nice nos T bar assemblies.

I swear the FF ones I used were pre split. Been like 5 years I took pics then and can dig them up.

Camtron

Reaction score
Got the car back together late last night. Ended up splitting the bushings. Put about 27 miles on the car today, overall ride quality and handling have been drastically improved with the new bushings installed. Checked out the bushing placement when I got home tonight, everything looked alright and still positioned the same, bolts are still tight. Those Poly bushing are hard as. To slice through them, I ended up heating up my good filet knife with MAP gas and slicing through it with a red hot blade; I need a new good filet knife now. Did my best to make the cuts at a 45 degree angle through the material so when the shells got bolted back down together, they’d close the cut in the bushing up real tight. Seems to have worked out.
I’ll never know if they’ll hold up for 30 years though. Cars going to get the 300# FF torsion bars with the big block swap.

Peter

Reaction score
Earlier tonight, I sent Johnny Spiva over at Poly Bushing an email about slicing his bushings. Surprised I got a response on a Sunday, great guy and customer service.
Guess I have a decision to make in the morning.

View attachment 39374
I just ordered a set from Johnny, he sent to Australia for me, really helped me out, the bushes look great and a good price. This blog has been really helpful as i need to do mine, they squeak like crazy even after soaking them in silicon lube. Thanks all for your comments.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know. I could never get the shell apart without butchering it beyond I point where I didn't want to reuse it. I have to imagine if they were supposed to be installed by slitting it then it would already have come that way like the pivot bushings.

The two times I did this job I found pairs of the Moog replacements that already had the shell. Someone else will have to chime in.
The factory pivot bushings aren't slit so I've always wondered long term how these different things hold up when they are.

Yeah I know its a year old comment...

volare 1977

Reaction score
The poly pivot bushings have not held up well on my car. I will be replacing them when ever I get time with another set of poly.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Sorry I dont list stuff for sale on here anymore, only sell on ebay and wont be listing anything till fall.

Good luck, there are some ends still out there, just look around.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Oh I have them, just wont be selling anymore items off here and will list them on ebay in the fall if one asks me to. I dont sell on ebay during the summer months.

For the guys wanting to slip it on inside the clam shell.... whats keeping you???? Grind the welds off the end washer after you mark it to index it. If slipping it on is possible then you can and if sucessful put the big oval washer back on keep cold water on everything and tack weld the oval washer back on the end. Ive removed and re weleded that oval washer for a different reason with zero issues.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
@seanmcconnell40, It only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone.
In this case a few people at these forums treated him bad to the point that has ruined it most everyone else. X has an outstanding knowledge of these cars (puts me to shame) and some parts hoarded away (I suspect) - but I don't see him posting as often now days.

I run an internal policy as there is no such thing as a stupid question, as well as not to knock others down (or belittle people). Also, if I really disagree with someone, I would give facts or details as to why I do, or believe, what I do - but NOT to change someone else's opinion.
That said, there are people who give insulting answers or are just argumentative that can turn people away. That has happened to me at another forum board - to the point I don't go there anymore. I suspect that has happened to X and I don't blame him.

I read, re-read and re-read again every post I make, just to make sure I don't offend anyone - which can be very easy to do. Many times I decide just to not make a post, after spending an hour on it. Also, my spelling and grammar is not so good, so a word processors spell/grammar check before posting is worth its weight in gold.
All it takes is a missing word, a misplaced word or spelling error to make your original thought to portray something completely different.

I have a few friends here, but @XfbodyX is one I want to actually meet, in person, before I kick the bucket (which, hopefully will be a long time from now - for both of us).
BudW

Reaction score
@seanmcconnell40, It only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone.
In this case a few people at these forums treated him bad to the point that has ruined it most everyone else. X has an outstanding knowledge of these cars (puts me to shame) and some parts hoarded away (I suspect) - but I don't see him posting as often now days.

I run an internal policy as there is no such thing as a stupid question, as well as not to knock others down (or belittle people). Also, if I really disagree with someone, I would give facts or details as to why I do, or believe, what I do - but NOT to change someone else's opinion.
That said, there are people who give insulting answers or are just argumentative that can turn people away. That has happened to me at another forum board - to the point I don't go there anymore. I suspect that has happened to X and I don't blame him.

I read, re-read and re-read again every post I make, just to make sure I don't offend anyone - which can be very easy to do. Many times I decide just to not make a post, after spending an hour on it. Also, my spelling and grammar is not so good, so a word processors spell/grammar check before posting is worth its weight in gold.
All it takes is a missing word, a misplaced word or spelling error to make your original thought to portray something completely different.

I have a few friends here, but @XfbodyX is one I want to actually meet, in person, before I kick the bucket (which, hopefully will be a long time from now - for both of us).
BudW
Thanks man i can spot drama a mile away . lol and now days the social media can be quite the pain . im new to the forum but not to the f body . im hoping to share and learn from this page when im here .

Back