Transmission speedo housing

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
So i was installing a new speedo cable on the housing last night and noticed after I pulled it apart it seem to have eaten itself alive. The one bushing under the speedo gear ripped apart and it started fraying the snout of the housing where the gear sits on it. Ive been seeing that you guys reverted back to the metal housings. Anyone know who sells them? Also I just wanted anothers answer to this..... Iused the calcultors online for driven gear teeth numbers and im getting mixed answers. Im currently running 255/35/20s on the doba which averages out to a 27.03 tire size. I had the rear set out and is currently being rebulit with 3.55 gears and so far the closet I got to an answer was a possible 34 tooth gear? Any thoughts?

DCAspen

Reaction score
You can use an A-body cable that is only a couple inches longer.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
Im guessing any year a body up till 76? And does the speedo gear have to fall into the parameters of the housing to work correctly?

volare 77

Reaction score
As far as the cable it would need to be 76 and before to have the screw on piece at the trans. As long as the end at the speedo is the same as yours you will be good. 76 77 used a different end on the cable at the speedo but I think they went back to the older style clip after that. Pull out your old cable and measure it and see how it attaches to the speedo. Do you have cruise control??? That would make a difference in the cables. The housing I have would work with a 34 tooth gear.

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
So then a speedo cable out of a 70 dart would work fine? I had cruise but eliminated it. So i got a cable from a 80 mirada without cruise and just went that route. The link to the housings you sent, I assume will also work with the 34 tooth gear as well?

volare 77

Reaction score
yes, you rotate the housing to the gear size you are installing. I`m not sure what end is on the speedo cable for a 70 dart. Take a look at one for a 76 dart

Mopar&vettedude

Reaction score
Just one more thing..... How does the gear lock into the housing on these metal ones? Only for the fact that the plastic was held by a c clip

XfbodyX

Reaction score
On the metal one the gear butts to a machined flat inside the tail housing and runs flush with the insert. No clip except the one one the inlet with the seal.

DSC00083.JPG

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The short-shaft speedometer gears are for 4*4 pickups (including Jeeps) and for ('93ish) 2*4 pickups that have a speed sensor attached to the housing (electric speedometer).
All 2*4’s (without speed sensors) pickups and vans made from ’66 to ‘92ish and cars made from ’66 to mid-year ’76 (with a few made the next couple of years later due to part availability problems) use the long-shaft gears.
BudW

volare 77

Reaction score
Should be a dot or small triangle at the 6 o`clock position on the trans. Line the dash between the numbers on the housing with the dot on the trans.

Back