Transmission won’t engage…

Aspen500

Reaction score
How did that end up on this thread? The windshield thing was posted to the guy looking for one. Ain't computers grand? All fixed now :)

Stonekij31

Reaction score
It is possible not to have the convertor not engaged and still get it bolted in, it's rare, and can be pretty bad. Was the trans opened up for any work? Can the car be pushed when shifted into neutral? Do you have your park brake set? I have seen a shop diagnose a car as having a bad transmission and it was just the park brake...
Wouldn’t I hear it if it wasn’t installed correctly?

Justwondering

Reaction score
So basically.. you are describing me after two nights in the ER with my husband... which would be funny if you'd been on the forum reading my wise ass remarks for years.
JW
(honestly, I have absolutely nothing to add to transmission work ... I'm still stuck at the 'rat ate my wiring' stage).

Ash_Whole

Reaction score
I’ve got a small leak coming from a cooler line. But I will disconnect at the radiator and watch it. No, the trans was not opened for any work other than a filter change. The car shifts correctly and rolls in the appropriate direction when shifted into R-N-D. I removed the parking break as well.
you removed the parking brake? why?

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
The brakes don't work and there's no emergency brake? Guess it's a good thing the transmission doesn't work

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The cables are probably seized solid anyway.
One more thing to add to the fix it list.

Stonekij31

Reaction score
The tensioning bolt was so rusted out that I couldn’t salvage. I considered replacing, but it’s very low on the priorities list. I bench bled the master cylinder and was successful in getting the air out, then bled brakes again. I’ll assess my brakes when the car actually moves

Back