Travel trailer - time to go camping FMJ style!

Intrepolicious

Reaction score
So this 1980 Cordoba I purchased a couple months ago had a trailer hitch receiver on it. I removed it from the car shortly after purchasing the car, thinking that I didn't like the way it looked on the car.

Then I got to thinking... this car, with its newly rebuilt 904, and the (now) good running 318, should be perfect to tow a travel trailer; something small, like maybe one of those "pop-up" campers, or just a small one axle travel home/camper thing.

I was daydreaming about it the other day; the Cordoba, with a nice little travel home behind it, out on the road, maybe up into the mountains, taking the family on a nice long vacation/camping trip. (Griswalds style!)

What do you guys think?

Aspen500

Reaction score
I would think it would pull a small pop-up with no trouble. By pull, I don't mean power but trans and cooling system temps, rear axle capacity, etc.

Hardly Griswold style. The Cordoba looks WAY WAY WAY better than the Wagon Queen Family Truckster:cool:

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I really like the idea. I have thought the same thing, except I really like the vintage Scotty trailers. Here is a 1978 Scotty that would look great behind OY which is also a 1978. It even has a matching plaid interior! It probably wouldn't be a lot of fun to tow it with the four speed though.
Scott1.jpg
Scott6.jpg
late oct - early nov 2014 005.jpg

Intrepolicious

Reaction score

Aspen500

Reaction score
Last fall the big RV dealership a block from my house had a 1950's(?) trailer on the lot. Coolest looking thing. Not sure how big it was, maybe 14 feet or so. It was pale yellow and ivory with pale yellow wheels and wide whites. Wish I'd have gone over and took a picture of it. The styling was so much better than the modern trailers.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Towing capability is not so much the gears, springs or engine, per se, but how well things keep cool in the long run (brakes and fluids).

Most cars with the towing package, got 8¼” differential, 5-leaf springs and bigger radiator. Depending on what year, it also got 11” drum brakes and external transmission cooler.

When I worked at a dealership, I was told the main reason for the 8¼” differential is lube capacity. A 7¼” holds 2.5 pints (1.18L) vs. 8¼” holds 4.4 pints (2.08L) – so almost twice the lube.

My ¾ ton diesel pickup with Dana 80, holds 10.1 pints (4.8L) lube – but it was made for towing.

Back to your situation, if trailer weighs in at 500 pounds or more, I would recommend an external transmission cooler. Keeping things cool is the ticket to towing longtivity.

Cars with manual transmissions were OK to tow with – except towing travel trailers were not recommended.
Why – IDK (doesn’t make any sense to me).
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
From what I've seen come in the shop over past 30+ years on vehicles that tow trailers is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,trans fried from overheating. I second the aux trans cooler thing, especially with "only" a 904. Call it, cheap insurance. A trans temp gauge isn't a bad idea either so a person can pull over for a cool down if needed, before damage is done.

Back