Trunk condensation

Justwondering

Reaction score
I hope everyone is doing well after the holidays.

I've been preoccupied with wall construction on the house but did find time to check on the Chrysler. Another 6 inches of rain fell which puts us at over 70 inches for the year. Almost double normal rainfall.

Interior was fine. No water and still waiting for me to finish the interior. Oh the guilt.

But the trunk has major condensation. All on the underside.

I've tried parking the car going uphill, going downhill. No difference. Cleaned the area behind the gasket for the opening. Poured water around the edges to be sure there were no leaks and that it drained well. No difference.

Seems whenever we have one of the heavy or long rains I get major condensation. Is there some weep hole somewhere? I can use a Tshirt to dry it off and will have to wring out the shirt before I am done.

What am I missing. Other than a garage or roof to park it under?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Mine do it too. I think the trunk being sealed so well it creates it's own little biosphere. What I've done to ensure drainage is to drill a couple of holes down deep in the sides where it goes down behind the wheel wells. I still get condensation though.

If you do decide to do that just make sure you seal those holes with a good paint or even grease to prevent them from rusting.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I actually have little flecks of rust beginning to appear on the inside of the trunk lid. I never find any water, but know the moisture is there. One time last winter I opened the trunk, and there was frost covering the underside of the lid. This goes back to the Captain's biosphere theory.

Aspen500

Reaction score
DSCF0007.JPG

There should be small weep holes in the lower part of the trunk extensions, just behind the wheel wells. I assume an M-body would have the same, or similar, to an F-body anyways. Look like a small louver more than a hole.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Ok aspen500
Don't take this the wrong way. I lust to have the undercarriage of my fifth look as sweet as yours.

The car's undercarriage that is. Lol

Has that vehicle been out of the garage and on the open road??

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Ok aspen500
Don't take this the wrong way. I lust to have the undercarriage of my fifth look as sweet as yours.

I was going to say that most of the condensation issues happen around this time of year. When the car fluctuates between cold overnight and warms up during the day. I wouldn't expect it with a garage kept car

compubert

Reaction score
Ok aspen500

LOLOL! I was thinkin the same thing... actually just to have an undercarriage at all . . . . ;-)

Aspen500

Reaction score
It's (undercarriage) the result of a 10 year long build. It has been on the open road, but not a whole lot yet. Only about 450 miles since the first drive in 2012. Also helped that the last winter (I'm in Saltconsin, I mean Wisconsin, lol) it saw was in 1987 when I bought it, then it sat from 1996-2012 while I built it ('96-'02 it just sat in the garage with a fried trans while life got in the way).

Almost forgot, THANKS! :)

Justwondering

Reaction score
Hey captain,
I hereby nominate aspen500 As the next recipient for 'sweetest undercarriage' award.

Can you, Joey, and the mopar gods make that happen?

Back