Trunk lock

88_AHB

Reaction score
Hey all,
So this is a new one for me. I went to unlock my trunk with the key and initially it would not turn to unlock/unlatch. My car has a trunk popper I hit that and the trunk opens just fine. Once open, I looked at the lock assembly I didn't see anything broken or jammed. I lubricated the lock cylinder etc. The same result, If I fiddle with the key for several minutes it will turn and unlock but it's a rare occasion. Beyond lubricating which didn't seem to have any effect, what other steps should I take? Replace the lock cylinder? I realize they're 30+ years old and prefer not to have a different key or get this one matched. Thanks

Master M

Reaction score
I had that happen to me on one of my cars. My key was worn down enough that it didn't want to turn. I got a new key made and that fixed it.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I agree. With a symptom like that it's either the key is worn, the tumblers are worn, or both.

Problem is, if a new key is cut on a duplicating machine using the old worn key, the new one may not work either. If not, the lock needs to be taken apart to measure the tumblers and then a key cut to match.

Ele115

Reaction score
The keys USUALLY, not always, wear faster than the pins in the wafer lock. If this happens, two solutions: New cylinder and keys and hope you can code it to the old code if you have that info, or if you are fairly sure the lock cylinder is OK impression it and make a key that way. Like it was stated, making an exact copy of a worn out key will give you an exact copy of the symptoms

volare 1977

Reaction score
Just remove the tumblers until it works unless your concerned about the stuff inside the trunk.

GregG48213

Reaction score
remove the tumblers
My dad did that back in the day on a mid-sixties Dodge. You could open the driver's door with anything that fit in the hole. Some time later, the car was broken into. The crook actually broke a window, when he could have unlocked the door with a screwdriver.

88_AHB

Reaction score
So, I carb cleaned the inside of the lock and flushed out any crap that was in there. Let it dry out for a few days. Thereafter I got some dry graphite into the lock and worked that in with the old key first then the newer key. It took a while of working the lock/tumblers but now the lock functions as it should.

Back