Tucked bumpers?

Exterior Body and Trim

1. TheSkunk

TheSkunk Active Member

Don’t flame me if it’s been discussed before I tried searching n couldn’t find anything..

has any one “tucked” the front and or rear bumpers on a 77-79 m body? Ik they have the heavy bumper “absorbers” and the filler panels. Ik the Chebie guys tuck their mid 70s cars. But idk if anyone had a good step by step list of how to do it or has done it with an m body.

I’m sure racers have had to come up with a way to shed weight yet still keep the bumpers... Right? Lol

I’m looking into it for weight savings and due to the fact I have a cracked rear bumper “filler pannel”. I didn’t know if it would be easier to just tuck the bumper(if possible) then try and track down a good uncracked pannel? I assume fiberglass wouldn’t stick well and proclaim worse then if it was cracked.
    Any tips tricks or ideas fellas?

2. brotherGood

brotherGood Well-Known Member

I saw one done years back, and it looked pretty sharp. I cant remember what he did though. I know that's not much help, but it is doable

3. Remow2112

Remow2112 Active Member

Check out this thread. May be the best F body build I have ever seen. But he tucked the bumpers.

76 Volare, yes a volare.

Dan...

4. SRTMirada

SRTMirada Active Member

There is a thread about Mexican market cars which apparently came from the factory with tucked bumpers. Using fiberglass A body bumpers has also been done.

5. TheSkunk

TheSkunk Active Member

Iv seen a body bumper n some tucked f body’s but not an m body tho

6. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

Just found this on Moparts: 76 Volare, yes a volare.

Guy does a beautiful job tucking the rear bumper on an F. Start on page three.