Turn signal lever

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
FYI, the cruise switch slides over the turn signal stalk - so not part of the turn signal/wiper switch. Also the turn signal switch is a different part from the wiper switch & stalk.
Confusing, yes.

For '86 Diplomat the (new) part numbers will be:
Turn Signal Switch 4221682 (without tilt steering) or 4221485 (with tilt steering)
4221485 TS Sw.jpg

Wiper Switch (with stalk) 4221897 (without intermittent wiper, without tilt steering), 4221899 (with intermittent wiper, without tilt steering), or 4221903 (with tilt steering)
4221897 Wiper Sw.jpg

Cruise Switch 4342209
4342209 Cruise Sw.jpg

Cover (plastic cover over turn signal arm, without cruise 4293911

Hopefully this helps you on what you are looking for.
BudW

SuicideRider

Reaction score
FYI, the cruise switch slides over the turn signal stalk - so not part of the turn signal/wiper switch. Also the turn signal switch is a different part from the wiper switch & stalk.
Confusing, yes.

For '86 Diplomat the (new) part numbers will be:
Turn Signal Switch 4221682 (without tilt steering) or 4221485 (with tilt steering)
View attachment 45120
Wiper Switch (with stalk) 4221897 (without intermittent wiper, without tilt steering), 4221899 (with intermittent wiper, without tilt steering), or 4221903 (with tilt steering)
View attachment 45121
Cruise Switch 4342209
View attachment 45122
Cover (plastic cover over turn signal arm, without cruise 4293911

Hopefully this helps you on what you are looking for.
BudW
Thank you so very much sir. You are an invaluable source of information. You gave me everything I need to know.

DCAspen

Reaction score
Did you get a new switch? I have a NOS one if you are interested.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
None of these parts have been made new, for decades - but one can still find NOS ones out there. It just depends on which trees you shake.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you @LSM360. Someone mentioned here, a month ago or so that these cruise switches only came in black. The switch in my '86 Fifth Ave is gray (or silver).

When you get a new switch (the cruise switch above is a great example), the electrical connector comes separate.
- Take a good picture of wiring harness electrical pin-out to connector - or take pen to paper and make a drawing.
- A person will need to either cut off the old electrical connector or use a pin tool to extract the old wires from existing connector.
- Then tie a string to end of old wire end (use of electrical tape is highly recommended to keep tape from slipping off) then gently pull the old switch out to point the string is now exposed.
- Remove old wiring from string and tie on (then tape) new wiring to string.
- Gently pull string downward until switch is in place.
- Attach switch into place.
- Untie string and discard (or whatever).
- Insert wiring leads into new connector using picture or drawing from above.

In many cases the wiper switch and turn signal switch is the same way (connector comes separate) and sometimes not. There are some versions where connector is pre-installed (depending on year car made), can be a royal pain to pull the wiring up and down - which is not saying the above mentioned procedure is not also a pain.
BudW

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
They were colored up to a certain year then most were black. I have a blue one in one of my cars.

MoparDan

Reaction score
'84 I think was the last year my '85 GF has a black lever though no cruise (or was that only a Chrysler thing?) the lever on my old '82 F/A was tan like the rest of the interior. I seem to remember seeing a either an '84 or '85 Fifth Avenue in a junkyard somewhere with a black lever

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I "believe" all of the "non-cruise" cars got the black stalk and cap.

All of the "add-on" cruise kits came with a black handle (for cars built without cruise). When I worked at a dealership, I had added a lot of cruise controls to "sold" or "almost sold" new cars.

My '86 has a gray (or silver) cruise handle.
I "think" the lower trim model cars came with black and the higher trim model cars came with colored cruise handles - but have no proof of that.
BudW

Back