Unexpectedly dies after breaking to a stop

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
20161019_181846.jpg

The check valve is at the White Arrow.
The big hose goes to intake manifold and small hose goes to cruise control.
You can remove the valve from booster using a wide flat tipped screwdriver. If valve and booster are both holding vacuum, you will hear a brief sucking sound as vacuum is displaced with air.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Well I learned that I should not have bought a check valve.
When you get a brake booster, it comes with a new check valve. So I have an extra one I have to return.

I'm game for the 2 hour attempt sometime this weekend.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Oh my my my..
2 hours
what an optimistic timeline.
I'll start another thread on how I removed and installed the brake booster.

So many things I've learned today. Late lunch then back out to find a cotter pin and 4 nylon washers to finish the install.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Another bust this afternoon.
Nowhere on this entire property is there single cotter pin of the size needed to put the power brake booster back in.
You need any big pin for a tractor, got that in spades.
You need some dinky 3/4 or 1 inch pin for the Chrysler, no way jose'

Drove over 70 miles to get to a store with cotter pins so I could get a lot of sizes for future needs. While there, I stopped in at the fabric store and walked around checking on current colors and patterns. Very calming.

Lost my daylight about the time I got home. Just put the goats up for the night and came on in. Sigh. I'll try the installation in the morning.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A “new” cotter pin is preferred – but in most cases, you can reuse your old pin.

In a pinch, you can use just about anything. It is there only if nut backs off and pin is to keep things together.
I don’t think I have seen a “cotter pined” nut ever back loose before.

I have seen safety wire, bailing wire, bent nails, safety pins, and all kinds of other workable methods, if the old cotter pin is mangled beyond reuse or went missing.

Justwondering

Reaction score
oh Bud
You would have chuckled at my efforts today.
I managed to put the brake booster back in and it took only 45 minutes. All nuts solid and tight.
However,
its at that point I realize the pivot assembly was upside down!
Well fudge!
So yesterday it took 5 hours to get it out, today it took 15 minutes to get it out.
Pivoted the assemble.
Put it back through the firewall and ....
yes its true ....
I could only find 3 of the 4 nuts.
I looked everywhere - under the carpet, under the car, under the floor mat, front seat, back seat, pockets...
So, its still not in.
I have to go buy another nut tomorrow.
This is such a comedy action. But after the doctors appointment tomorrow, I'll get the nut and return to finish the job.
Pictures manana

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, get a couple of nuts. Things do/just happen.

The original nuts are locking which you can see a 3 way pinch on them and has a built in washer flange.
Nut 118614.JPG

Those type of locking nuts are hard to find and a pain to use because hard to turn to remove or to install.

I would recommend using Nylon lock nuts (and washers) – for they are easier to get installed - under the dash.
Nylon_Lock_Nut.png

BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
I tried the rotation in place but it was sitting too close to the holding bracket.

Bought two locking nuts on the way home from doctors

Justwondering

Reaction score
Brake booster is in,
test drive taken,
no longer dies when I push on the brake!
Hooray.
I'll put a separate thread out there about this process.
Thanks everyone.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Great!

It is a “doable” job by most members here – just not a “fun” job to do.

At least when the engine is installed, to help hold it up (the booster), somewhat.

Installing a brake booster without the engine I place can get real fun, at least until you get the first nut on a few threads.

For those who does not know, a Mopar with manual brakes (no brake booster), there is a rod that connects the brake petal direct to the master cylinder. So basically master cylinder rod travel is 1 to 1, after it leaves the brake petal.

A Mopar with power brakes, the rod going between the brake petal and brake booster (instead of master cylinder) goes through a series of linkage that increases rod travel 2 to 1. So pushing the brake petal down the same distance on both setups, the brake master cylinder moves twice as far, therefore stopping car with less brake petal movement and effort (power assisted).

On A and B-body cars,the manual brake master cylinder sits lower on firewall by about an inch. Also the brackets (firewall stiffeners) have holes drilled into them lower.

I haven’t seen any FMJ bodies to compare brake petal linkage and reinforcement brackets, yet. I do know adding the “Z” setup to manual brakes will make the brake petal too hard to push.
PB petal linkage.JPG
PB petal linkage 2.JPG

Item 28 is fixed. Item 31 connects to brake petal. Item 29 goes to brake booster.
Brake Z setup.png

Bottom hole is fixed. Blue is coming from brake petal and Red is going to brake booster.
B PB compairision.JPG

The brake petals should be the same with or without power brakes.
They are different if manual or automatic transmission - but that is for a different topic

Back