Volare 1976 real Or not?

beatersRus

Reaction score
thats a bit harsh tony...
lets keep in mind hes from germany and isnt as up to date as some of us.
i did like your post about the ny guy and those movie cars.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Not all cop cars had ram bars. A lot had bumperettes. And they are rarer then the bigger cars but there were some Volares used as police cars. Don't forget there were also some Malibu's being used as police cars. But as the saying goes just because something is rare doesn't mean it's valuable.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
looking at your car,id say someone actually Had a severely beaten ex army cop car and decided to put everything on the fully loaded car you have now.
the power windows,the trim levels,the seats,everything screams not a real cop car.
but,you havent posted a pic of that fender tag under the hood yet soo?
i guess ill have to wait to see that first.

but,i will admit....
strange things happened back in those days...
very strange things...

1975 Dodge Charger
Wellington, CO · over a week ago ·
$7,500
  • About This Vehicle
    • Driven 81,185 miles
    • Automatic transmission
    • Exterior color: Gold · Interior color: Tan
This is my grandfathers retired police car. I'm hoping a collector is interested. Stored inside almost its life. It’s has been gone through by a mechanic. See the videos. If you are interested in coming and seeing it I will set up appointments. (You can set up to see the car in Erie.
View attachment 39785

also,while im thinking about it.
that cop car radio equipment you have is Usually Marked and has a serial number too.
it was usually assigned to a specific car and stayed there for life of car.
these were all kept on records for each dept/town/city.
you might be able to use those markings to figure out what car they came from originally.

I don't know if military police would have had speed radar like that on the dash. They wouldn't have the need for it. But who knows. It's too bad that there weren't more pictures of things back then like today. To me anyway it's interesting to see that stuff.

On the charger, I think those Smith and Wesson light bars didn't show up until the 80s sometime but I don't know much about them. I think the 70s were the bars like this Volare has and the Twinsonics. They did have 2 door police cars so anything is possible but it would be neat to know was that Charger always a police car, or is it something that grandpa put together because he thought it was cool. Like you said very strange things....

beatersRus

Reaction score
ive been trying to track that charger since it popped up,and get some solid proof.
he says the following but shows me nothing for proof.
the few vids might be interesting if i can figure out how to share them here.

..also was there any documentation to prove this was an actual police vehicle?
86_828846868_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=7206a8&_nc_ohc=gGmZaiERaIMAX_VPueY&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

Philip
I have newspaper articles his commission cards and him in that photo as well as some old police papers.

thats a unique piece of history,may i see some of the paperwork?

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Cool. Yeah it would be interesting to see proof.
Maybe it was a small town type of deal where someone liked those Chargers and thought they'd suit the purpose alright?
I guess i'm just sceptical when it comes to stuff like that. Never say never and too good to be true both come to mind at the same time if you know what I mean.

Greg55_99

Reaction score
Actually Tony, as a correction of your item #4, cops DID use Aspens and Volares as patrol cars.

37fa363cc160ef5169e57992d7ba465d.jpg

Greg

Last edited:

rukinleon

Reaction score
We had a '78 Aspen police car in the early '80s. 318 car with typical plain jane interior. Looked like the brochure above. Interestingly, it had Plymouth lettered trim across the hood.

Back