Volare/Aspen rear side glass leaking

Trivium91

Reaction score
My rear side glass pieces were leaking, so i pulled them off and cleaned up the area. Turns out they are still leaking. First i tried butyl tape which didnt work very well at all, after cleaning up that i tried Proflex RV sealant and Buytl caulking on the other side. I cut a 2x4 to keep pressure on the windows for two days. Now i went to wash the car and they are still leaking! this is extremely annoying, is there a better product? All i do is apply a 1/2" bead all the way around the edges of the glass and stick it on, am i missing anything? My last resort short of pulling everything off and trying a again is a bead of clear RV proflex between the bottom louver and the glass. This would prevent any water from passing this seal since its leaking at the bottom. its a really poor design since everything needs to be sealed from the inside, the louvers have to go on the same time the glass is applied from the inside.

Aspen500

Reaction score
That's what rotted the lower 1/4's and rear of the rockers on my car, unseen 1/4 window leakage for years. Best way to do it is pull the glass and clean all the urethane off the glass and as much as possible off the body. Then apply glass primer to both surfaces where the urethane will go and allow it to dry. Next, apply a bead of urethane on the body, or glass and press into place. Make sure the urethane flattens out enough but not to where the glass touched the metal.

The glass primer is important. Without it, the glass may not bond well and will probably leak too.

A 26:1 ratio caulk gun is highly recommended, unless you have a grip of steel.:D

This is the stuff:
3M Products Fast Cure Auto Glass Urethane Adhesive 60980032282
3M Products Single Step Primers 60455082929

Trivium91

Reaction score
That's what rotted the lower 1/4's and rear of the rockers on my car, unseen 1/4 window leakage for years. Best way to do it is pull the glass and clean all the urethane off the glass and as much as possible off the body. Then apply glass primer to both surfaces where the urethane will go and allow it to dry. Next, apply a bead of urethane on the body, or glass and press into place. Make sure the urethane flattens out enough but not to where the glass touched the metal.

The glass primer is important. Without it, the glass may not bond well and will probably leak too.

A 26:1 ratio caulk gun is highly recommended, unless you have a grip of steel.:D

This is the stuff:
3M Products Fast Cure Auto Glass Urethane Adhesive 60980032282
3M Products Single Step Primers 60455082929

Thanks ill check it out, a huge pain as i did all this just with the wrong products apparently. I cleaned up all the rust already on the floor pan and treated everything with Por 15. The car was redone 25 years ago and has since been stored inside so most of the source of the water was from washing the car. I have larger tires on the back aswell as lowering the front torsion setup, as a result most of the water made its way to the front of the car. The carpet padding absorbed the moisture and held it which starting rusting a hole through the driver side floor pan.

I picked up this product that my local napa had, says it doesn't need a primer?

Fast Cure Primerless Urethane (CUSF) – Largest Supplier of Industrial & Commercial Automotive Products

Aspen500

Reaction score
I wasn't aware of that product. If it says primerless, it probably is. No sense buying a $35 can of glass primer that you'll only use a little bit of if you don't have to.

Back