Volare se landau top removal??

QubusLewis

Reaction score
Hello! New to the forum, but about three weeks ago i scored a very solid 79 volare se. I've been tinkering with the engine the past couple of weeks to make it a solid daily driver, but my next step is to take some time and work on the body. While the top is cool, the chrome trim is starting to come off and i figure instead of replacing it, why not just remove it and get it ready for a solid paint job in a month or so.

So my question is thus, what are the immediate risks of stripping the top off? I like the idea of it being a solid color, but i know the rear side windows are not the same size on other volare models. Would this pose a risk for water damage? Also, any tips on aftermarket weather strips would be appreciated as well!

Thanks! Will post photos after work sometime

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m guessing you have a 2-door?
You might want to add that important piece of information in your Signature (so the rest of us don’t ask silly questions.

Chrysler did not paint cars in the area of vinyl roofs, on cars on assembly line destined to get vinyl roofs. Why – I don’t know
That said, sometimes they do paint the area before applying a vinyl roof (but not that often).

Removing the vinyl roof with no paint underneath is inviting rust.
I had a ’68 Charger that previous owner removed the vinyl which left me with a two-tone paint job. Blue with “rust” colored top. Well, the rust color was actual rust, but I think you know what I mean.

I have also seen removing the vinyl roof taking the paint off with it (more often with other makes of cars), which can also be a problem.

If your current vinyl is already tattered and falling off, then bare metal might be better than having a water trap there. I don’t know the top condition, so can’t comment on that.

Pictures do help.
BudW

Mr C

Reaction score
If it has the smaller opera window, those are mounted in a fibreglass plug. It will leak water into the car around the plug if you remove the vinyl.

QubusLewis

Reaction score
These are the problem areas in question. I guess it would be worth it to fix the top? I assume these pieces to hold the trim down arent super elusive. Definitely working to avoid a rust bucket as this is my first purchase!

20161229_121913.jpg

20161229_121923.jpg

20161229_121923.jpg

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Well, rust is always an issue. As Mr. C. stated above, the "opera windows" are installed in a fiberglass plug, that in turn, is installed in the body panel. To do away with the vinyl roof means that at least the seam of the plug will have to be dealt with. I've seen it done where the seam is filled in, but in my opinion, it never looks quite right. I'd probably try to seal the leaks myself, or if possible maybe even have the top replaced by a body shop after the seams are resealed. Probably pricey, but a good way to go depending on the overall condition of the car and your plans for it.

QubusLewis

Reaction score
Right on, good looking out with the responses. I am by no means a mechanic, but i am learning to work on cars though this volare. I appreciate all of the advice! When the build is finished, i would like the body to look very minimal, i'm not a very flashy person lol

Too bad the previous owner installed an aftermarket hood scoop :( lol

Back