Volare woes.

Mr C

Reaction score
It's been a rough week for F body driving in my household...

After getting my daughters Volare mobile, we have started driving it.

On the highway we took a stone to the formerly perfect grille...took a chunk out of it. I could have cried. I repaired it with a piece from a Dart grill. Looks okay.

Driving home in the rain the Wiper drive link failed. So that needs to be repaired.

They say things come in threes...I'm afraid of what's next.

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
I think the phrase is turn up the juice and see what shakes loose. You have to flex that car to see what fails. Wipers- important. Brakes & brake lights extremely important. Cooling system and lubricants - got be on top of that. Steering- just like brakes

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
They require a lot of attention. Just drop a few bills on it and it will be like new lol

Justwondering

Reaction score
Mr C...
daughter is watching.. show her how to handle the issues, prioritize, and learn to scavage. She's got a great guy to learn from, just smile and keep fixing parts til its screaming down the road again.
My condolences on the grille but I do like the solution.:)

Mr C

Reaction score
Yup, we've ordered a replacement wiper link and are coping with the issues. She's getting her share of greasy hands.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
I have the correct linkage bushings in stock. 4/$6.80 plus shipping
100_5922.JPG

Mopar_Gods

Reaction score
The panel below the steering wheel which houses the fuse panel cover some times rattles on mine at the bottom right corner when it does I just crank the tunes up a little. So it doesn't drive me nuts.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
It sounds like that knee bolster is missing that lower corner screw. Put one in, and the rattle will go away.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There should be seven black screws holding the Knee Booster in place (the rectangular plastic piece under the steering column).

If it doesn’t have all seven, take one out and find a replacement and insert both.

If like me and too cheap to buy a screw, take one out from somewhere else, there by transferring the rattle from location A to location B.

BudW

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
Those are expensive and notorious for self-destructing, even the "new" replacement pieces.
I'd replace the motor, arm and first linkage with the type that uses the small bushing. Probably not much of a price difference.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Those are expensive and notorious for self-destructing, even the "new" replacement pieces.
I'd replace the motor, arm and first linkage with the type that uses the small bushing. Probably not much of a price difference.

I think that's the 80's M body style?
Better design. Works the same with the modifications Jim is talking about and they don't explode like that older style.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
They were one year only on the F bodies (78 I believe) and only a partial year and not all option levels. Not sure of M applications.
Never figured out what the hell Chrysler was thinking with that one.
The wiper motor shaft is a different profile but the standard style arm can be easily modified/filed to fit the shaft.
100_4118a.jpg

Mr C

Reaction score
Well I got the replacement wiper link and installed it today. I thought I'd give a bit of feedback.

The new piece is made of a far better material than the original (which is good). The plastic is almost rubbery, you can squish it and it bounces back to its form.

The dimensions, however, were incorrect. On my Volare, the hole in the steel arm was smaller than the plastic piece. I had to remove some material (not too much) to make it fit.

It was a devil to get onto the arm, but I was successful and it gave me a chance to go through, clean and lube everything while I was at it.

The wipers work like new now...more "peppy" in movement, which I ascribe to the cleaning and lubrication.

I'm very happy.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Those “plastic” bushings, do take some effort and channellocks to popped into place.
It is not a "5 minute" job!

Back