Want to go a little wider than stock...

shadango

Reaction score
So our 81 Dippy two door is equipped with the stock size wheels/hubcaps and 205 75r 15 skinny white walls.

I'd like to go wider....not necessary shorter or taller...want to keep that stuff the same so I do not need to change the odometer gear....just a little wider.

Just put brand new KYB gas adjust shocks on her and now I need to look at the tires.....two front ones need replaced ... bad idler arm and an inattentive kid driving it ended up with the inner and outer edges worn out...idler arm is replaced, rest of front end seems ok....

What y'all using? I do not want rubbing or problems....not sure if I want to keep white walls or not...I think I would...but realize that white walls are hard to find....so, might go to blackwalls.....doesnt seem like a "letters out" car....

Aspen500

Reaction score
Here's a chart to compare tire diameter by size. Your 205/75R15 are about 27" and they list the other sizes that are close to the same. Keep in mind, if your wheels are 15x6 you are limited to how wide you can go. At a certain size you should have 15x7. Whitewall availability is scarce once you go above a certain size.

Tire Size Calculator

shadango

Reaction score
Here's a chart to compare tire diameter by size. Your 205/75R15 are about 27" and they list the other sizes that are close to the same. Keep in mind, if your wheels are 15x6 you are limited to how wide you can go. At a certain size you should have 15x7. Whitewall availability is scarce once you go above a certain size.

Tire Size Calculator
Thanks! I will check it out.

Not sure what size the wheels are.....I know they are bone stock.....

kkritsilas

Reaction score
According to The Tire Rack's tire caclulator, the biggest that will fit are 245/60-15. Practically speaking, it will be 235/60-15. because there are next to no 245/60-15s being made. You would need 7" wide wheels.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Chances are they're 6", although some had 5.5" wide wheels.
I've got 255/60R15 on the rear with 15x8 wheels with custom backspacing (like a 15x7 with an inch added to the inside) due to my wider rear axle. On the front I have 225/60R15 on standard backspace 15x7's and they clear when turning but do get sort of close at certain points. They look too short though. I'm going with 235/60R15 when I replace them, which should clear also,,,,,,in theory.

DSC00003.JPG

Back