Weatherstripping woes

mattechperf

Reaction score
Through a lot of searching already, I'm understanding the weatherstripping, window seals, truck seals, etc are difficult or impossible to get for these cars.
Does anyone have any sources or solutions that haven't been updated in here in a while?
Save me from myself. I've got a can of Great Stuff and an itchy trigger finger. :)
Thanks!

foam-party.gif

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
BudW's got a great question there, and it brings up a rare time when the 2dr cars actually have an easier time sourcing parts than the 4dr rides.

Stuff like the door seals or the roofrail weatherstrip is interchangable (to some extent, a small adjustment may be required) between just about all F & M 2dr bodies, not sure about J though. At least the aftermarket has some products out for those rides.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
On the plus side a lot of the seals are pretty universal and it's only how they're cut and melted/welded together at the corners etc that are unique so you can get aftermarket ones that match or are close. For trunk and 4 door stuff anyway.

mattechperf

Reaction score
Yes, this is for the 4 door M-body of the 1988 variety.
It seemed that a lot of the seals are gonna be of the "Make yer own" variety. The door stuff seems to be pretty model specific though.
I'm sure a little creativity will get me there, but I wish there was a "Add to Cart" for the exact stuff I need. I know...lofty dreaming. ;)

20220114_215815.jpg
20220114_215823.jpg
20220114_215838.jpg

Duke5A

Reaction score
I'm watching this. Seals on my car are pooched. I repaired the rips in them with that tire sealer Discount Tires uses. Worked good, but absolutely not a replacement for new.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
This or something similar is the trunk seal (I didn't bother trying to match it exactly).

Amazon product ASIN B00O8X8HGY
The door seal corner is one of the things I was talking about. You can get the right seal but then have to spend the time to add those sharp corners and the clips on the bottom to it.

Magnum Aspen

Reaction score
Check out Steele Rubber products pn 70-3585-99
It looks just like the picture.
I have not used it yet, but I found it while I was looking for the same parts for my project.
I have also used self aheadsive foam tape from Ace hardware as a seal to keep out wind noise. I did not test it for water ingress.

mattechperf

Reaction score
Check out Steele Rubber products pn 70-3585-99
It looks just like the picture.
I have not used it yet, but I found it while I was looking for the same parts for my project.
I have also used self adhesive foam tape from Ace hardware as a seal to keep out wind noise. I did not test it for water ingress.
I think you nailed it on the trunk seal. It's not exact, but I bet that'll work great.

383scuda

Reaction score
Aspen/Volare: Trunk, Door Seals and Roof Rail Seals (body side) are available for 76-78 2 door. Check with our suppliers here (JustMopar.com) the End Cap seals (by hinge pillar) I have not found. 79 Door Seals are molded with the End Caps, but the earlier 76-78 door seals will work.
Just got the Door Seals. They are made by Steele Rubber Products P/N LM23 T. Steele does not show this part number.

IMG_4789.jpg

Ele115

Reaction score
They must not have the wagon ( 4 door ) ones. I see the coupe weather strips and I will probably get a set. Would love a set for the wagon

Magnum Aspen

Reaction score
I just used steele rubber products
70-3256-72 on the rear hatch of my wagon. It fits well and seems to seal well. I have not tested it yet for water intrusion however.

Magnum Aspen

Reaction score
I also asked the sales person at steele if they had the door seal material they use on the two door parts in bulk, unfortunately they said they did not.

kmccabe56

Reaction score
They must not have the wagon ( 4 door ) ones. I see the coupe weather strips and I will probably get a set. Would love a set for the wagon
All F/M four door cars will have (especially the front doors) the same weatherstrip. Ironically, wagon rear doors and sedan rear doors are just slightly different enough, that sedan parts may not fit. I purchased a new liftage weatherstrip for my wagon from the local body supply shop. They actually stocked it, so it obviously is used on a lot of vehicles. I took the counter guy out to the car, showed him what the end of the weatherstrip looked and he said 'Yeah, we got that". Walked back in and 3 minutes later walked back out. Biggest surprise I got when I installed it is that I cannot close the hatch unless a door is open or a window is down. The car is THAT air tight!

Back