Web Site Lock Ups

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Greetings To The FMJ World!

Has any body else experienced the web site locking up your browser, if the advertisements lock up. It will happen to me if I stay connected to long, like a half hour.

I am running Firefox browser on Linux Mint 17.

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Firefox sucks currently -- use a different browser. I have no clue what Linux might have to do with it. Make sure your Java and Flash are up to date.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Sorry, Joey, Firefox is the only browser that is trustworthy right now. Add on uBlock Origin, and you have pretty much a bulletproof browser. Certainly more secure than either Edge or Chrome, unless you like your browsing monitored by Microsoft or Google.

Darth-Car is using a Linux system, with the Mint distribution.

And for the record, I have Firefox running on 4 PCs (2 desktops, 2 laptops), 2 Macs (MacBook Pros), two cellphones (1 iPhone 6/9.2.1, and 1 Android (Nexus 5/6.0.1), 1 tablet (Nexus 7 (2013)/6.0.1) and a Sun Workstation. Rock solid and stable on all.

ramenth

Reaction score
I get it every once in while, running Google. Was typing out a PM the other day and it took forever as the computer kept freezing as I was typing.

Don't seem to have that trouble on the other forum sites. Just figured it was my computer or my wi-fi.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Yes this is the only web site, and forum that experiences these lock up issues. it seems to happen related to the advertisements as they change. There are just so many ads running, top of the page, side of the page, and bottom of the page.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
That may be a clue as to what is going on. With uBlock Origin, I see the ads, but any Javascript based ads are stopped at the first image. If the ads that are being streamed are using bad Javascript, it may create the problems you are taliking about.

David Clark

Reaction score
Running Chrome here and I get repeated Shockwave Crashes on this site as well as "sticky or slow" text while typing in replies or anything typing related. Really Frustrating as hell when you are typing and 4 words ahead of what is displayed in the box.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Step 1 is to get rid of Shockwave. It is outdated, and isn't being used by anybody anymore. If you want to start using Internet Explorer (IE) version 10 or 11, or Edge (the standard browser in Windows 10) you can get rid of Adobe Flash Player as well ((and Java), IE 10/11, as well as Edge, have them built in; if Edge, you can get rid of Adobe Reader). Like I said, I am not promoting anything, as I use Firefox personally, but I am slowly moving everybody in my company off of Firefox and Chrome for security reasons.

Last edited:

David Clark

Reaction score
Really. Apparently this Site uses Shockwave quite a bit if it's Causing Shockwave to Crash when I come here. And No thanks, I'll Updgrade to windows 10 when it's been out for a while and all the bugs are worked out of it. Internet Exploder, Now that's a joke if I ever heard one. I used to Use Firefox for everything but since Firefox refuses to support just about anything out there anymore, why bother.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Yes, really. They were just recommendations. Feel free to use them or not, I was just trying to help. You can continue to have the slowdowns and crashes as you see fit, but know it isn't the web site, it is your machine.

And just to let you know, Windows 10 technically, has been out for 4-5 years. Windows 10 is Windows 8.1 with a corrected user interface. All of the actual operating system, aside from the user interface is the same. The first major update has already happened in the form of a 2.8GB update (what would have been a "Service Pack" in the old days). In addition, I don't use Shockwave or Flash on any of my Firefox versions, including this one on my Windows 10 PC, and I have no issue with seeing the site, or the ads. If Shockwave were "all over" this site, I wouldn't have been able to see anything.

Last edited:

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Running Chrome here and I get repeated Shockwave Crashes on this site as well as "sticky or slow" text while typing in replies or anything typing related. Really Frustrating as hell when you are typing and 4 words ahead of what is displayed in the box.

Thing is -- its only happening to you. (to my knowledge) I use the site and have none of those issues. I know the famous line is "but its only happening on this site" which really means nothing. If something isn't happening to a bunch of members, then it isn't the site.

David Clark

Reaction score
Well, to be honest, you may be right. But it's Not happening on any of the A or B body forums I go to. Just this one.
--- Post updated ---
Ramenth Listed the same problem I have, in his reply up there. Text Freezing and locking up whil eyou are typing. Just Saying. there Might be more people having problems that just aren' tposting about it

Cordoba1

Reaction score
I've actually experienced the exact same symptoms after the upgrade, using IE 10 and Windows 7. I'm viewing the site right now in Chrome, and it's fine. I recently upgraded my home PC to Win 10, and the site appears to work fine in Edge.

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, to be honest, you may be right. But it's Not happening on any of the A or B body forums I go to. Just this one.

Ramenth Listed the same problem I have, in his reply up there. Text Freezing and locking up whil eyou are typing. Just Saying. there Might be more people having problems that just aren' tposting about it

I'm viewing the site right now in Chrome, and it's fine. I recently upgraded my home PC to Win 10, and the site appears to work fine in Edge.

This is exactly my point. If it works fine in Edge and Chrome then perhaps its older versions of IE that have issues. I cannot do anything about that except advise you to keep your software updated. If your using a version of IE less then 11 and have problems, then you should upgrade to IE 11.

I'm not trying to sound like an ass, but you have to be realistic as well. Modern websites have to work with many browsers today, and trying to keep up with old browsers, old operating systems, old versions of other software Apple Phones, Android phones, tablets, etc etc etc. I am using IE 11 with no problems at all. Cordoba1 is using Chrome and Edge and experiencing no problems.

Think of it like this. If I can start the car, and our buddy can start the car, but for some reason you cant start the same car, its not the car that has a problem....

Back