Web Site Lock Ups

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Just as a reminder:

from the original poster (OP):

"I am running Firefox browser on Linux Mint 17."

No IE or Chrome in sight. So the whole line of thinking regarding IE being kept up to date is non-applicable. Anything regarding Edge is non-applicable, because the original poster doesn't use Windows, so IE and Edge are not available to him, except to perhaps let him know that people running IE/Edge/Chrome are not having problems. I don't know if Linux Mint's current version is 17 or not. I don't know if Firefox for Linux Mint is being kept up to date or not.

I don't have problems with Firefox under Windows 10, Windows 8.1U1, OSX 11.3, iOS 9.2.1., the current version of Solaris, or Android 6.0.1.

OP seems to be reluctant to change over to Windows. Since nobody else seems to be running Linus Mint, I think he will need to work this out on his own, as the problem IS NOT WITH THE WEBSITE. If it was, others would be having issues as well, and there don't seem to be, at least to any great extent.

Last edited:

David Clark

Reaction score
You are assuming that MY web Browser is NOT up to date which is WRONG. My Chrome is the latest Version they have. I can't get any newer than that. My windows is up to date as well. (well, for the version of windows I have that is, still haven't upgraded to windows 10 as I am still hearing horror stories from Friends that have, as recent as THIS MONTH).

Darth-Car

Reaction score
"You have to have the latest web browser", or it's "so sorry, you are just out of luck; you can not run this site, or that site." This is what has gone wrong with the mentality of the script kiddies today who write web sites or services. Back in the dark ages of the Internet when I was still designing web sites for customers, we designed the web site to run on the least common denominator of browsers that were available at that time. That way folks with older equipment could run the site, and folks with the latest, greatest equipment could run the site.

It is a good thing the web site / application developers of today do not make decisions for our cars. We would have to have the cars crushed, and we would all be driving egg-mobiles, because that would be all that the modern roads would support.:)

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are assuming that MY web Browser is NOT up to date which is WRONG.

That wasn't my point. My point was that various things on your computer can cause the issue. It might be an older browser or OTHER software on your computer. I had a virus / malware scanner cause problems for me just last week. It only affected 1 site I visit but visit it frequently.

The best way to minimize problems on the web is to keep things like browsers and other software up to date. it doesn't matter whether Firefox, Chrome, IE, Edge, or whatever.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I've been having problems with this site for a week or so, that's why I'm not in the top 5 posters this month.

Then again I'm running a Tandy on 56K Rogers with IE.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I do not know about faster, but it has not locked up recently. Then again, I have been running it in special paranoid mode, in a way that I found it was less likely to lock up.

Thanks for attempting to tweak it. These sites are true labors of love by the administrators, who get far to little credit for the work that they do to keep things running.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Well the problems of locking up are back. It has been going on since the week end. I have had to totally force shutdown my system in the last ten minutes twice while reading posts from this site. AAARRRGGG!

I love the people here, hate the forum software.

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well the problems of locking up are back. It has been going on since the week end. I have had to totally force shutdown my system in the last ten minutes twice while reading posts from this site. AAARRRGGG!

I love the people here, hate the forum software.

Most likely, the problem is something on your computer -- I don't notice anything wrong here

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Mine is slow to load sometimes but it's never all out locked. That's on my Galaxy S6 with insanely fast service.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
With deepest respect Joey, you are a fine Board host, and I will not bore you with my 30 + years of Information Technology, and Telecommunications experience, but your conclusion is dead wrong. The trouble is not in my set.

It is rather suspicious that out of all of the Boards I participate in, yours is the only one experiencing these issues.

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, its not locking up for me, and nobody else has reported it to me. Hence, my conclusion.

Have you tried the site in a different browser?

Justwondering

Reaction score
Darth-Car --
I'm running Firefox on Win 7 professional with no lockups. I have an older laptop with Linux Mint down at Dad's.. Let me get that tomorrow (thursday) and I'll bring it back up here to the boonies and see if I can get it to lock up.

Bad mojo sux.. let me see if I can replicate what you have or something similar. Maybe I can find that lucky combo of software that is causing the problem.

Back