Well i got it...79 Volare To fix or not to fix???????????????????

Nite Moves

Reaction score
:confused3:Well i got it home and started to look around.......well i see why it was for sale.I got it from a guy i know and was planning on fixing it up some for the misses. I have a project on the go for myself and it looks like this is going to be the same:icon_sad: Dam......Im going to let her decide and go from there........I was only planning on a lil work. The frame front drivers is toast and looks like pass. side is going too! Yep......i should have looked at it closer but when you know the person i guess you should look twice as hard. Will post pics later...........Sorry for the rant.

80 Aspen RT

Reaction score
I learned the hard way too, and I'm sure we are not the only ones.
Maybe your friend didn't know about the rust?

Nite Moves

Reaction score
That is possible........maybe not. Going to try and post up a few pics........
HPIM1488 (640x480).jpg
HPIM1487 (640x480).jpg
HPIM1492 (640x480).jpg
HPIM1489 (640x480).jpg
HPIM1491 (640x480).jpg

HPIM1488 (640x480).jpg

HPIM1487 (640x480).jpg

HPIM1492 (640x480).jpg

HPIM1489 (640x480).jpg

HPIM1491 (640x480).jpg

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
Looks good on the outside. Too bad about the underside. Remember that autorust has the front and rear subframe caps.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Like Eric said. Good looking 80. I'd not shy from that frame rail stuff. That is a good winter project. I don't weld, but always find someone who can and willing to for a case of beer. Welding is a good barter for what you might have in trade. I'm always building up my credit with a few of my welder friends. The wife types up papers, I tutor in math. Anything goes to get the project going. Perhaps get a junked F or M or J with a good front frame and start a mock up? Anyway, don't get negative with this coupe, it cannot be any worse than the R/T with angle iron for frame rails I parted out last year. The goofball drove it with the "moving frame" option. Go with friend, go with it.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Yes Sir,
My Caravelle was a horror show when I got it.
Almost had the "moving frame" option myself
(LMAO), you should patent that billy...
Passenger rail was butter, driver not a lot better but stable.
Got a buddy to weld the passenger,
Driver's on the list.
Along with floor pan work and rockers.
Good looking car you've got there.
Don't get discouraged, just find yourself a good welder who hopefully works for beer. It's all totally doable.

80 Aspen RT

Reaction score
Car does look good on the outside, like Eric said Auto Rust Tech. has frame rail fixes.

Nite Moves

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.......A buddy came over first thing this morning. My back is out yet again.......:BangHead: He looked under neath for me. Its a definate front frame repair both sides.........Floor looks good and the rear seems fine as well. Im feeling a bit better now.......will keep you up to date.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
Just don't pull what someone else did and send it straight to the crusher without removing any parts

Nite Moves

Reaction score
I m wanting it on the road..but $$$ is just that. If its do able..you bet. Im not scraping it..to many people needing stuff . I have a 67 Dart in progress and i know what its like to get stuff...........Thanks for all the replies

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Really it's what the rest look like for rust.
A grinder, some thick steel and a welder, and you're set.

But I always look at the subframes before buying.
And it sure look like an 80 with the square headlights.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Really it's what the rest look like for rust.
A grinder, some thick steel and a welder, and you're set.

But I always look at the subframes before buying.
And it sure look like an 80 with the square headlights.

They are notorious for sub frames..
But like Doc says,
Thick steel and a welder.

LSM360

Reaction score
I guess every "car guy" has been there, so try not to sweat it. My '88 Gran Fury was not as described and I was in for a load more work and $ than I thought. But in the large scheme of things, not a biggie.

Your car looks pretty darn good otherwise, and at least the floors look good. Hope you can save it!

Nite Moves

Reaction score
Thanks all. We talked it over and were going to sell a few things to help with the frame repair. i have a set of stock rims so the Cragars will be up for sale as well as the rear spoiler..(she dosent like it).......and the side window louvers..(dosent like them either) This should help with some cost and a buddy is willing to help out with some welding............:icon_thumleft:

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
SWEEEEET! im sooo glad ive been watching ur posts on fabo aswell to see ur decision i like the look alrdy stock rims are timeless i dont care for the window louvers either spoiler is cool i may have to inquire

Nite Moves

Reaction score
Im just putting it out there on value of the spoiler and louvers.....honestly dont know the value..want to help out but i do need some $ for this project..IE frame items.

alfatar

Reaction score
Have you heard about a product called fuzor? sp. Anyway it is made to bond metal to metal.The metal has to be very clean and fitted before using it. It is waterproof also and fast. I have a friend who used to on his floor of a falcon a few years ago and it has held up well.It is so strong it is not recommended on new cars for structure members because it make the cars too strong and they do not crush as they should. A lot of body shops are putting roofs on cars with it. 3m also has something like it but I have not personally used it.The biggest problem I have seen with the stuff is where people start . About a foot of product needs to be wasted so it can mix right or puttimgg it over dirty metal. Just a thought anyway.
Good luck

MIKE

Back