What holds the wiper linkage arm onto the wiper motor?

shadango

Reaction score
I agree its a pain to do these.....and had the OEM bushings been immediately available I would have gone that route.

Will be curious to see how long the aftermarkets last.

I am thinking of buying some OEMs to have on hand in case......I assume my ebody (72) uses the same ones? Or is it just later Mopars? I cannot recall what was holding my 72 linkages together....

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume my ebody (72) uses the same ones?
Your ’72 E-body has a similar appearing wiper transmission system – but it doesn’t use the same type (plastic) bushings. It is more of a metal on metal system that also has metal retaining clips to hold it all together. It does need some lube on it occasionally, or it will squeak. There is no way for it to “break” or “come apart” except for bending/breaking things when things are frozen over . . . well, except for the wiper motor arm (and hidden wipers). If I recall correctly – that can be a pain to find a replacement for.

The plastic bushings that FMJ’s use is a lot simpler and system is cheaper to manufacture. Also, is quieter – but you do have replace those bushings every few decades.

On any F or M-body, if you are looking at the wiper motor arm and it also does not have the same bushing there (uses three of same bushings instead of four) – I highly recommend you find a newer M-body and get the wiper transmission from it – for finding parts for the older style motor arm is rather difficult and troublesome. You only need the arm off wiper motor and the link that attaches to it – but it is just as easy to remove the wiper transmission (both arms, both pivots and motor arm) at same time and it most likely will cost you the same $.

The Pull-A-Part near me just got in a ’89 Fifth Ave, which getting the wiper linkage is on my list to get (to sell).
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
My '79 Aspen uses a bushing and clip to hold the linkage to the motor bell crank, not what it shows in the parts catalog. Not important, just an observation. Then again, my car has always been an oddball. Uses 1980 rear bumper "shocks", steering shaft with no rag joint, etc................

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If the arm that attaches to wiper motor looks like this, then you are set:
3799105.jpg

This uses the plastic bushing (Chrysler 3799089 or aftermarket).

If the arm looks like one of the below examples, then you might want to consider upgrading to the above arm:
3799194.PNG

3799294.PNG

3431545.PNG

I could not find any decent pictures – mainly because there are no good examples left out there to take pictures of (or in this case, what I swiped from the internet).

I hope this helps.
BudW

shadango

Reaction score
If the arm that attaches to wiper motor looks like this, then you are set:
View attachment 32927
This uses the plastic bushing (Chrysler 3799089 or aftermarket).

If the arm looks like one of the below examples, then you might want to consider upgrading to the above arm:
View attachment 32928

View attachment 32929

View attachment 32930
I could not find any decent pictures – mainly because there are no good examples left out there to take pictures of (or in this case, what I swiped from the internet).

I hope this helps.
BudW

Hey Bud

So now that you posted pics, my feeble brain now remembers what I have on my Cuda.....just like you pictured.

If you look at the first picture in this thread I posted, the Dippy DOES have the same motor arm......and it uses the same plastic bushing as the linkages do.

Am I understanding that the recommendation is to rebuild the Dippy system to what the Cuda has? Or is the 89 system different still?

I rebuilt the cuda linkage and connectors a year or two ago....it was tough finding the parts to rebuild the 'transmission" part......and pricey. The system is still noisy but I can see how it is more "robust".

The chinese plastic bushings I have on the Dippy now seem to be holding up so far......have had the "opportunity" to use the car in the rain a couple times....

Wondering how long the chinese ones will hold up compared to the OEMs.....hate to spend $40 for new OEM bushings just to sit until "someday"......I suppose I can just wait and see rather than obsess.....but obsessing is my M.O......lol

shadango

Reaction score
Some pictures that I have from rebuilding my Cuda's wipers that may help others searching for info in the future.....

20170617_123343_zps46sjco42.JPG

20170617_125459_zpsblx1yqv7.JPG

new parts onebay pic.JPG

concealed wiper parts diagram.JPG

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
I have all the parts for wipers...from motors to arms to linkages as well as OEM bushings...everything but new rubber blades...
even have one of those weird wiper motor clutch thingies from a '78....
If you have the motor arm with the "clutch" and want to swap to the common style you'll need to replace the motor, arm and first link.

Back